DAC+AMP Advice for DT990 + Pre out

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubliminalThought

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I am looking to drive my 250 ohm DT990 which I use daily on my home setup (PC + Consoles). Currently they are plugged into the headphone out of a logitech 2.1 system and the source is the audio out from a dell monitor (so HDMI audio->3.5 mm stereo). I have an AudioGD NFB 11 (which will hit the classifieds soon) - but it gives off a ton of heat to use on my desktop.

I am looking for a headamp + dac combo (either all in one or seperates) that has a few digital inputs (TOSLink & USB mandatory) and an analogue input. It should also have pre-outs for active speakers (which I intend getting in the future) or to be used as a pre-amp. Alternatively it can have a built in amp for passive speakers like the Denon PMA 30 (though no USB). I do not have golden ears (in fact one ear is out of order) so I'm not looking for high grade audiophile, but also I do appreciate good clean sound so neither want bottom of the range.

My research has led me to a few options - looking to spend around R3500.

Schiit Magni paired with a standalone DAC (Topping E30 maybe) - Not sure what the import cost will be on the Magni
Fiio K5 Pro
Topping E30 + L30 combo - Looks great, but am worried as the L30 amp apparently has grounding issues and have blown headphones
Topping MX3
SMSL AD18 - Headphone out is too weak

Any advice or other dac/amp suggestions? I am leaning towards the Fiio K5.