Author Topic: DAC+AMP Advice for DT990 + Pre out  (Read 327 times)

Offline SubliminalThought

DAC+AMP Advice for DT990 + Pre out
« on: February 09, 2021, 09:42:40 AM »
I am looking to drive my 250 ohm DT990 which I use daily on my home setup (PC + Consoles). Currently they are plugged into the headphone out of a logitech 2.1 system and the source is the audio out from a dell monitor (so HDMI audio->3.5 mm stereo). I have an AudioGD NFB 11 (which will hit the classifieds soon) - but it gives off a ton of heat to use on my desktop.

I am looking for a headamp + dac combo (either all in one or seperates) that has a few digital inputs (TOSLink & USB mandatory) and an analogue input. It should also have pre-outs for active speakers (which I intend getting in the future) or to be used as a pre-amp. Alternatively it can have a built in amp for passive speakers like the Denon PMA 30 (though no USB). I do not have golden ears (in fact one ear is out of order) so I'm not looking for high grade audiophile, but also I do appreciate good clean sound so neither want bottom of the range.

My research has led me to a few options - looking to spend around R3500.

Schiit Magni paired with a standalone DAC (Topping E30 maybe) - Not sure what the import cost will be on the Magni
Fiio K5 Pro
Topping E30 + L30 combo - Looks great, but am worried as the L30 amp apparently has grounding issues and have blown headphones
Topping MX3
SMSL AD18 - Headphone out is too weak

Any advice or other dac/amp suggestions? I am leaning towards the Fiio K5.

Offline goldfritter

Re: DAC+AMP Advice for DT990 + Pre out
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 11:25:29 AM »
As much as I would like you to sell the NFB-11 to me - and at the risk of sounding obtuse - you already have a device that will do all you need, and very consummately, as far as I can tell. The NFB-11 is well-regarded in the head-fi community.

All that is lacking is the analogue in - so if you absolutely need that, then you'll need a new device. But I would argue all the devices you are planning to use will have worse DACs than the NFB-11 so it is better to use digital inputs for them anyway.

The Xbox Series X and PS5 don't have optical outs, but there should be a way around that. If you are using a TV or AVR then you can probably pass the digital audio through those, or you can use a converter device such as this one for example (just the first hit on Google): https://www.geewiz.co.za/hdmi/26053-hdmi-to-hdmi-and-optical-toslink-spdif-analog-rca-l-r-stereo-audio-extractor-converter-hdmi-audio-splitter-adapter-hdmi-input-hdmi-digital-analog-audio-output.html

As for heat, any desktop amp will generate heat; it is difficult to quantify if any of your options will produce less, but I don't think the difference will be huge. My CTH+SDAC also gets quite hot. Maybe try arranging the desk so the NFB-11 is a bit further away from you and the heat generated isn't so noticeable?

As for your price range - I doubt you will find anything that will beat your NFB-11 for R 3 500. Even the K5 is R 4.3k from C-Plan.

That said, if I had to buy a device today that fits your requirements, it probably would be the K5, mainly because you can get it locally so you don't have to deal with importing and duties and international warranties and so forth.

Offline Reshen

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 11:41:47 AM »
Hi,

I just saw this was released: https://www.khadas.com/product-page/tone2pro

The spec is incredible for the price. You might want to consider it.

Offline neilh

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 11:43:46 AM »
Dibs on the GD! LOL

Schiit are now shipping to SA. Last I looked, it would be $100 in shipping and duties for a Magni/Modi stack

I've been looking at some tubey goodness, so some left field options

So

Loxjie P20/D20 stack
Xduoo TA10/TA10-R (Because so much of red)
Drop Darkvoice with a Magni 3+

Offline neilh

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 11:45:04 AM »
Hi,

I just saw this was released: https://www.khadas.com/product-page/tone2pro

The spec is incredible for the price. You might want to consider it.

:drool:

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 01:51:29 PM »
Dibs on the GD! LOL

Schiit are now shipping to SA. Last I looked, it would be $100 in shipping and duties for a Magni/Modi stack

I've been looking at some tubey goodness, so some left field options

So

Loxjie P20/D20 stack
Xduoo TA10/TA10-R (Because so much of red)
Drop Darkvoice with a Magni 3+

I've had a look at the Loxjie D30 and its interesting... definitely a better pick than the topping mx3. I am happy with solid state, even class D (vs AB or A).

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 10:44:28 AM »
Pulled the trigger on the K5. From reviews the only big negative is the pre-outs are not the best. I think I can live with that for the price and I am going to by using the headphones most of the time. I would have tried the Schiit Magni Heresy, but no stock at the moment and then I would have to stress about which DAC.