Author Topic: Headphone dissatisfied: Time for planars?  (Read 776 times)

Offline naughty

Re: Headphone dissatisfied: Time for planars?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 10:21:41 AM »
headphones very rarely give you a vast and open soundstage IF you are comparing to speakers - to hear a vast and open soundstage you have to compare to other headphones ..... and you can have a fairly large soundstage if you play binaural recordings - but the effect isn't as apparent when you play normal recordings

also the headphones with the best and most open soundstage would cost fairly large amounts of money - the cheaper ones do not really give you much of an open soundstage - so you are going to be looking at silly money ie HD800 levels and higher to find the effect easily - and while some cheaper models may give you a decent soundstage effect they will have other weaknesses and will be fairly hard to find

headphones are something i find best if you try and listen without any expectations - i will always still prefer speakers but my circumstances and current living space dictate that i don't have the space for speakers nor can i play them at the volume levels that i want - so i'm stuck to headphones and while i have really entry level stuff i am fairly happy with entry level stuff for now - and i will allow my stuff to evolve over time with no expectations of what i want to improve .... i reckon this is the only way for you to move forward with headphones

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 02:04:12 PM »
RAAL SR1a (and a schiit amp)
 :groovy:

Exactly where my thoughts are hovering at the moment ... that combo is under $3k on the used market now which, in a weird way, represents exceptional value for money.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline royj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Member
  • "You live everyday , you only die once
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 02:13:05 PM »
Get Dhiveshan's input , after all he is regarded as the "Godfather" of headphones.
“Yesterday is history”
“Tomorrow is a mystery”
“But today is a gift”
That’s why they call it the present

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 06:09:20 PM »
Shooting from the hip here, I would try these: koss headphones kph30i - many reviews on Youtube, cheap as chips and delightful.
Nothing audiophile, but man, I smile when I listen to them. They give me that wow feeling you mention with your Sony walkman.  :2c:
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”  Alan Watts

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Recovering gear addict.
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 06:29:17 PM »
As said, there aren't any headphones that compare to speakers when it comes to soundstage... you can try the HD 800 if width is what you think that's what you really want, but personally I can't stand those eartweeters.

I also sold my planar headphones (LCD-2) because they honestly a bit boring... there are other headphones perhaps with lesser reputations that I find are more fun to listen to, for me, right now, it's all about the dynamics and slight aggression of the Focals :groovy:

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 07:06:36 PM »
Dead right Doge.

The Raal Requisite SR1a is said to image better than any other headphone including Stax, K1000 and the rest. They've been likened to exceptionally talented monitors in an extreme near-field application. However if you describe the HD800 as a face tweeter I don't think you would enjoy the insane detail it apparently dishes up.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass