Open baffles - my introduction and the R909?s.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Willemse

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I?ve mostly only owned traditional box speakers. Many variations thereof, but never open baffle. This will be where I express some of my thoughts of ownership of my first set, Jamo R909?s.

I always wanted a set of these, even without ever having heard them. I tried to cut a deal a few years back with a set found in a JHB corporate business?s leisure type lounge, but it never materialised.

Having no idea what to expect, I had the opportunity to drive a pair with my own amplifier to get a sense of the pairing, and was not disappointed... intrigued actually.

All things panning out as intended, they should be in my room this weekend, only them allowing me to start giving my impressions.

The set, in truly excellent condition, are a bright ?Lamborghini? yellow. Stunning colour, and the colour that in years past would have been my choice. In my current space, it?s going to need some adjustment.

The construction of these speakers is really something else. Everything goes together as if made to shipped to customers in kit form. The base is cast iron and finished in a textured matt-black, housing below it the 3-way crossover and binding posts. The front baffle and rear aluminium support brace that complete the rigid structure all bolt through the bottom, allowing fairly simple deconstruction (relevant later).

A little over 63kgs each, standing near 1.3 metres high and half a metre wide, they make quite an impression.

Pics for illustrative purposes:

efccd30e01e0fbb38bf87540c7542a23.jpg

81f5a584ebd6a9c20284d8f0c2f82903.jpg

Purists, stop reading now.

1st order of events, at least after a week or so listening, is the strip down. A careful clean of all the bits and bobs, and the decision to change the front baffle colour to suit my preference.

The colour chosen is ?Soul Red Crystal? 46V, more commonly seen as a colour option on certain Mazda vehicles. As far as pearlescent reds go, one that impresses me every time I see it. It?s a 3 stage pearlescent, closely resembling candy apple, and has excellent depth and reflection variations.

960d722a7bb3e5326a0816855157f77a.jpg

bc013f1cfb62117378644bca890a8180.jpg

62850e5a0389e3ecc1a7a33f589fa644.jpg

46V, on the left, in case you missed the mention.

So yeah... here goes. I?m looking forward to a new chapter to experience and learn from, and most importantly enjoy!

Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts