Quick question - insurance lightning issues

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyP

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last night we had a rather lively storm and as always I turned off and unplugged the TV and related bits.  Once it had passed, I turned them all back on at the wall and the TV doesn?t work any more. I?d forgotten to unplug the aerial cable and it looks as though this fried it.  No problem, moved the old TV from the bedroom to lounge, hooked up the phone and watched some Netflix. 

Then this afternoon I went to watch a charity shop DVD and it seems the Oppo BD got fried in some way, no picture on the HDMI in, crackling and distortion on the sound through either set of speakers from DVD or CD.

Not a problem as I have a DVD player now connected up (from the bedroom system as well) with picture and separate feed to use with CDs (actually sounds extremely good if I say so myself).

My question is whether it is even worth asking my insurance for anything - both TV and BDP were over 5 years old so they could just have easily given up the ghost (I expect that would be the insurance response) and I don?t have any receipts (TV was my brother?s originally, BDP second hand from on here).  I have basic contents insurance so am not sure what the standard cover for these sorts of things is.  Anyone gone down this road and found it worthwhile?

I?m pretty sure the surge was through the aerial as there is now virtually no signal suggesting the distribution across the block got fried.