Author Topic: Audeze EL-8 Driver Issue  (Read 699 times)

Offline Audiofundi

Audeze EL-8 Driver Issue
« on: January 11, 2021, 06:39:01 PM »

Hi
Audeze EL-8 Closed Back Headphones, superb headphone. These have been very well cared for and used exclusively at home. Never dropped.

Hoping for some advice if anyone has had a similar unfortunate problem and can advise. The headphones has had a problem with the driver. The Right driver has stopped working and I have tested the cable with a swap of the plug and it is the driver. The checking of the pins on the headphone cable and the actual inner of the plug shows open circuit. 

I am convinced that the driver is faulty as I can see a small fold on the diaphragm on the Right side. A type of a flap in the silver foil. I have searched for videos on this matter and have come up empty.

Has anyone had a similar issue ?
What did you do about it ?
Was it resolved ?

Offline capetownwatches

Re: Audeze EL-8 Driver Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 10:17:17 AM »
My LCD2 driver failed in similar fashion - tear in diaphragm.

After getting an expert to check it I was advised that I now have an expensive paperweight.  :'(

Only solution is sending to Audeze for 2 x replacement drivers, which is utterly not cost-effective.

I do hope you may have more success with yours.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
My LCD2 driver failed in similar fashion - tear in diaphragm.

After getting an expert to check it I was advised that I now have an expensive paperweight.  :'(

Only solution is sending to Audeze for 2 x replacement drivers, which is utterly not cost-effective.

I do hope you may have more success with yours.

Also got one where a driver failed but in this case a connection you canít get to without stripping.  Which I did but as part of the learning curve I broke it.  Next time I know what to do. 

Interested in selling your remains?

Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudio?igshid=1wzr83vlqtbyy

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 10:33:56 AM »
Also got one where a driver failed but in this case a connection you canít get to without stripping.  Which I did but as part of the learning curve I broke it.  Next time I know what to do. 

Interested in selling your remains?
I was going to ask you the same question!?

Depending on model year, we may get lucky with a matching driver.
Mine is an April 2014 LCD2 Fazor.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 11:04:00 AM »
Think mine is non fazor. 

Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudio?igshid=1wzr83vlqtbyy

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 11:57:48 AM »
Think mine is non fazor.

As I understand it, the fazor assembly is removable.  We could possibly end up with a working non-fazor version?

Offline grumpybear

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »
Closed back, very thin diaphragm.  Accidently allow the 2 cups to bang together or let a cup spring closed on to your ear and the diaphragm will be damaged.

See here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fikx0so3Z2U&ab_channel=phototristan

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 12:22:41 PM »
Why must these things be made so fragile? Especially since they ain't cheap...

I treated my LCD2 like a newborn and it still broke.

Offline dingeth

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 12:59:21 PM »
Audeze headphones are built like tanks but possible planar driver failures do give me nightmares. OP I do hope you come right with a cost effective solution!
Audio Noob

Offline Audiofundi

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 01:23:02 PM »
Thanks for the input
I have babied the Headphone. Listened only in bed and never loud. 
The diaphragm is torn without any abuse.
Feel sorely but just wanted to have an idea what happens now.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 01:25:27 PM »
Why must these things be made so fragile? Especially since they ain't cheap...

I treated my LCD2 like a newborn and it still broke.

When I took my dodge driver apart it just oozed kitchen table audio.   Which is great.  Some of the best sound was made on kitchen tables. 

The fault with mine is / was that the connection to the diaphragm is made with a lug and a bolt and serrated washer.  That bolt became just loose enough to be intermittent.  The nut on the other side (spinning) however is behind the frame thatís glued shut.  I unfortunately used to long a balde to separate the plate and also loosened a bar magnet which smashed through the membrane.

If your have an intermittent driver imo itís a good chance it is this bolted connection.  With a 10 mm long blade one can cut through the ring of glue holding the plate thatís in the way.  (Longer, like I did, will touch the bar magnets.  ).  Remove the plate.  Tighten the bolts and put it back together.  I might consider drilling holes to allow access to the nuts. 

Croak Audio

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 01:26:41 PM »
Audeze headphones are built like tanks but possible planar driver failures do give me nightmares. OP I do hope you come right with a cost effective solution!

Audeze revised their LCD2 drivers in 2016, and (anecdotally) these seem much more reliable.

Offline dingeth

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 04:33:39 PM »
Audeze revised their LCD2 drivers in 2016, and (anecdotally) these seem much more reliable.

Hi Arie, glad to hear that. Probably coincides with the release of the LCD2 Classics (and the newer headband).
Audio Noob

Offline Audiofundi

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 09:24:11 PM »
Thanks for all the contributions

I contacted Arbalest and the issue was sorted with a new driver pair
Most impressed by the response and service received

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 06:29:52 AM »
Thanks for all the contributions

I contacted Arbalest and the issue was sorted with a new driver pair
Most impressed by the response and service received

That is refreshing ... When I asked Arbelest for assistance to remedy cracked rings on an early LCD2 rev 2 they asked more than the cans were worth to ship it to the USA and back to have the rings replaced at my cost. Zero local support. Audeze's Murica-centric support model always flabbergasted me ... Imagine if you had to send a Sennheiser to Germany every time something went wrong!
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass