Author Topic: Off the home menu eating on Friday's  (Read 356 times)

Offline Bankies

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
Off the home menu eating on Friday's
« on: January 08, 2021, 10:34:20 AM »
Since every Friday is a half working day for me and I knockoff around 11 ish, I got into the habbit of spoiling myself with something lekker every Friday from our canteen at work. I just get tired of the same old broodjies met ham, broodjies met peanut / jam, oorskiet kos van gisteraand.

Lets hear from the other forum members who else buys food from the canteen at work, or any other take away for breakfast / lunch. What do you like to eat that you don't normally eat at home.

My brunch today was Russian with salt and vinegar chips. Boy these are still one of my favorites. Never gets tired

In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take!

Offline Crankshaft

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Off the home menu eating on Friday's
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 02:13:05 PM »
For me it's fish and chips from the spot up the road.
Grilled hake fillet.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 04:33:17 PM »
It was many years ago when I worked for Safmarine

If there was a large ship in port on a Friday, between 15 and 20 of us went down to the harbour and the Captain arranged a lunch, most often a buffet in a large room on the ship.  We had to undertake not to consume liquor with abandon, as the ships used to get a large liquor allowance and often the office would receive a telex (shows how long ago it was) with the order to submit to the ship chandler and on there was a code which everyone could interpret, ie BS 120, BQ 25, Br 15, Gi 20, Ru 4  (Beer Small, Beer Quarts, Brandy, Gin, Rum) which was what was remaining at that day.

It was some people's job to assist the ship to consume it.  Being bonded liquor, it had to be consumed on board, you could not take it home (although some did)

On a very stormy night in June 1975, there was a terrific party and one guy fell off the gangplank into the oily sea-water between the ship and the quay.  Someone was lowered down on a rope and attached a harness to him.  He spent several weeks in hospital, having ingested this poisonous stuff and never came back to work

Safmarine also hosted CMCR (French) cargo ships.  The quality of their food and wine was streets ahead of South African ships, who seemed to think quantity was more important than quality
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 06:30:22 PM »
Simit for breakfast from the Turkish joint on Florida Rd, or if it's too early for them a Blondie from the coffee place with the coffee.

Or if in Glenwood a pretzel from Glenwood bakery to go with the morning coffee when I get home.
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....