Solar geyser do's and don'ts

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadude

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a happy start to 2021 with my kitchen geyser popping on New Year's day.  I'm going to take a cash settlement from the insurance and put it towards a solar installation.  The more I read the more I realise I've been totally left behind with all matters solar, so I'd like to avoid newby mistakes.

The intended system for a house of 6 people is:

- high pressure 300L EV tube solar geyser above the kitchen where the old 150L burst
- thermostatic mixer valve to mix down the outlet temperature to +/- 55-60'C
- kitchen (including dishwasher) to draw off hot water directly after the mixer
- also piped to the mixer output is the second existing 150/200L (not sure about the size) geyser feeding the bathrooms
- the Geyserwise controller on this in-line storage tank will be set low (40'C or so) to top up electrically on cloudy days and cold nights
- almost forgot to mention ... Apollo geysers ... are they "good enough"?

This system should avoid the complexity and cost of pumps while providing sufficient hot water for the missus to have a hot bath after the kids had theirs, and for me to have a shower in the morning. Neither electricity savings nor solar-utilisation will be optimal but that is a trade-off I am happy to make.

I am meeting the installer this afternoon and would really appreciate some guidance on the proposed installation and questions to go through before paying the deposit.

TIA!