Author Topic: Speaker build - open baffle?  (Read 365 times)

Offline naboo

Speaker build - open baffle?
« on: January 05, 2021, 10:30:15 AM »
Hello all diyers, hope you have an excellent diy 2021!!!

I built some bookshelf speakers last year (from a kit), and I am very happy with them. Unfortunately they are in a large, open area - they are fine but I want to build something else this year, that is perhaps better suited to that area.

I am not trained in this stuff at all, and don't know how to design cross-overs and measure speakers etc. Perhaps I will get there someday, but for now I am more than happy with another kit or design that I can use. I have a couple of questions around this.

1) My understanding is that open baffle performs well in more open spaces and where it is not easy to treat the room. Do you guys agree, or have some alternative suggestions? The "room" is about 10x5, glass&wood folding doors on one length, and an open plan kitchen down half of the other length (horrible, I know, but this is where I listen).

2) I am considering doing an x-statik build from the same company that supplied the kit for the bookshelves (https://www.gr-research.com/store/p51/X-Statik_Kit.html). Other than that I've read up on the Sunflowers [redux] by Paul Carmody: (https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/dipole-and-open-baffle/diy-sunflowers?authuser=0) - they have less drivers but might also do the job - @kolakidd on this forum did this build. It'll also work out quite a bit cheaper than the x-statik build.

3) Does anyone have other recommendations on designs that will suit this room? @GECO how would something similar to your tqwt speaker build compare to the hybrid OB builds?

Any other comments welcome - thanks in advance for any feedback.

Offline seanjammy

Re: Speaker build - open baffle?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:44:37 AM »
Building new designs without sorting your room will be like putting lipstick on a pig.

I am far from a definitive authority, but OB designs are possibly more tricky in the midrange than bass (especially in rooms with reflective front walls). For what it's worth they can also work in medium sized rooms.

Those designs look like fun, but (for me at least), the lightning bass is the best part of OBs. Using ported woofers and OB mids make zero sense.

2" ports that are 8" long may be noisy.

Having said all of that, opinions are like pubic hair. Give it a try. May be awesome!!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Offline naboo

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 04:56:59 PM »
Hi Sean - thanks for your input.

I guess having the mids and tweeter as OB will open up voices. I think I've read every reference to the sunflowers on the net now, and most of the people who have built them seem to really enjoy them. Paul Carmody also seems like an experienced designer and he uses or used these as his main set.

There are some boxed floorstanders that would probably be a much safer bet, but I'm in this to have fun.

The Sunflowers ordered from Parts Express and shipped works out cheaper than just the X-Statik's, so cost-wise Sunflowers also make a lot more sense. As far as the port is concerned, I'll order both an 8" and 5.5" inch to see what works better (or sock it).

I have also had a great off-line discussion with @kolakidd about his build - which just got me more excited. He uses a Vanguard with them and I would love to do that as well, perhaps at a slightly later stage.

Down the rabbit hole I go...

Offline DeonC

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »
Have you seen this: Nearly finished OB Project for sale. This will be great start. Maybe a copy of one of Troels Gravesen's open baffle speakers, like the OB11 or OB15.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline bbe22

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 07:23:25 PM »
Both PaulC and DannyR are experienced (and respected) designers and many examples each of these 2 designs are around. Build with confidence..........I like the fact that these have a narrow front on baffle width compared to some of the "slab" type designs which cosmetically does not appeal, unless its a Jamo R909 and then only just 

Offline DeonC

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 08:51:35 PM »
Both PaulC and DannyR are experienced (and respected) designers and many examples each of these 2 designs are around. Build with confidence....

I am not questioning that at all. I was just saying that with the drivers and baffles as advertised, he could easily build something akin to the Troels Gravesen speakers. Alsmost all the parts are there, no need for the hassle of importing anything (with the associated costs and risks).
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline bbe22

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 09:44:27 PM »
Agreed , my post just followed onto  yours but actually refers to the 2 designs mentioned earlier in the thread. I may be wrong but do not think
Naboo can refine / do a  design from start  just yet , so the parts advertised may not be the ideal starting point here. As with his other build
those two has a reasonable  outcome guaranteed.....

Offline naboo

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 08:45:37 AM »
Thanks @DeonC and @bbe22 for the input!

I have seen that OB build advertised. Actually, @bbe22 has it spot-on is his last comment. My main aim is to get something that sounds great at a reasonable price. I love the build but don't want guesswork (homework, figuring it all out) at this stage. I already know a lot more than I did with my first build, and I'm sure I'll assimilate more information over time to get there - but for now, it's monkey see monkey do  :goofy:

The other problem with the advertised build is the wide baffle (or any other wide baffle).  :angrywife: wants to see pictures before I start. Actually, I also agree, the wide baffles do look a big ... weird. Maybe it'll grow on me over time, or once I've heard them :groovy: