Advice on subwoofer build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantz

Reaction score
Hi All

I purchased the following driver a while ago: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss210ho-4-8-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-458

I am not a very experienced loudspeaker builder. I have built a pair of small full range speakers and a pair of PA speakers (both were OK I guess). I hope someone can offer some advice for this build.

I want to do a sealed cabinet. The sub will mainly be used from 30Hz (or as low as I can get out of it) up to about 100Hz to supplement my small mains on my home theatre.

The above page recommends a 0.53 ft.? (15L) sealed cabinet. However, if you scroll down to the Q&A section the first question recommends a 0.28 ft.? (8L) sealed cabinet for optimal damping.

So my questions are:
  • What is the difference between the two recommended cabinet volumes?
  • Are they specific values or can the cabinet just be anything between 8L and 15L?
  • For the smaller (8L) cabinet, a square/cubic box would result in a baffle too small to fit the driver. Would it be a bad idea to make the baffle larger and decrease the depth of the cabinet?
  • Do the cabinet volume values they give include or exclude the volume displaced by the driver and plate amp?

Hope you guys can help me out. Any other general advice would be highly appreciated.

Latest posts