Magic Dacmagic

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just want share my experience. Here is my story:

Having heard how good Cambridge Audio Dacmagic is I decided to get one trough a friend from UK . When it finally arrived was immediately connected  to my Yamaha DVD-S2500?And..what a disappointment?Nice and rich sound, especially in midrange and in low frequencies, a bit rough  in highs and  very, very lethargic? Music was dull and lifeless to say the least.  Gave it few days to settle and run in. It helped but not as much as I wished for, still sluggish and uninvolving sound.  Called Guillaume (Hi-Fibian) for help, he upgraded my ECP-1 phonostage PSU some time before so he was right man to tackle the problem. What I didn?t know is how far he can help. Few weeks later I got two boxes back instead of one. Second box was new power supply, at least twice the weight of dacmagic. I don?t want to go in technical details, what I know about electronics is shocking. Finally the sound: It is lightning fast and rhythmical, full and rich, much better than before but still a touch rough in high frequencies (at times) so I wasn?t quite happy yet. Guillaume warned me that particular type of capacitors he used takes long time to settle and can sound harsh for quite a while. Nonetheless he  changed one or two components to different brand to satisfy my impatience. Did it work? Not quite. Treble got smoother but lost some sparkle and clarity. Long story short:  old component got back in. It took me another few weeks to get used to the sound (or capacitor run in?) Doesn't matter, I like the sound now; it is exactly like I wanted: smooth, rich detailed and very fast.
I use Dacmagic mainly with my laptop, M2Tech Hiface with pink Apogee digital coax, Meyer Audio  Corda Swing II headamp (with crossfeed on most of the time) and Senns HD 650. To me sound is extremely satisfying for long listening sessions.  Dacmagic is magic.

Cheers

Chris

Not affiliated to Croak Audio Exploration but happy customer.

Latest posts