Author Topic: Simplicity of Linux  (Read 33003 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

Re: Simplicity of Linux
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2018, 02:18:44 PM »
Mount an EXT3/4 drive read only, ensuring that filesystem journal is unaltered i.e. the read only mount is really a read-only mount, not just preventing user writes.

Code: [Select]
mount -t ext4 -o ro,noload /dev/blockdev /mnt/fiddle
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline rorz0r

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »
Not to get onto the "Linux vs windows" thing but windows 10 now has a "windows subsystem for Linux" where they've basically mapped most of the Linux kernel operations to the windows kernel and done a bit of interop. You can basically just search the windows store for Linux and install whatever flavour you like. Basically it's a really easy way for a windows user to run most of the tools mentioned in this thread. A lot more convenient than dual booting and a lot more lightweight than VMs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2018, 01:28:57 PM »
Not to get onto the "Linux vs windows" thing but windows 10 now has a "windows subsystem for Linux" where they've basically mapped most of the Linux kernel operations to the windows kernel and done a bit of interop. You can basically just search the windows store for Linux and install whatever flavour you like. Basically it's a really easy way for a windows user to run most of the tools mentioned in this thread. A lot more convenient than dual booting and a lot more lightweight than VMs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Why would One mess up Linux with a Windows kernel or any of these “long cuts” for that matter.
Native Vim is most probably one of the most convenient things I’ve ever encountered.

Just saying ...
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2018, 12:04:10 AM »
List all directories that contain a sub-directory

Code: [Select]
find ${base:-.} -type d | sed 's%/[^/]*$%%' | sort -u
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.