The 2020 speaker itch..

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanS

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I had these.. which had been part of a 3 way 2 box affair. Which got replaced by another 3 way.

The tops of these are now bookshelves, and I have always had an itch to build a classic 70s looking speaker, the box here was spot on for that.

mRIIgpE.jpg

With removing removing the front, removing some excessive bracing and moving the front out a touch I probably only lost approx. 2L with the added midrange enclosure (approx 4l). So the bass driver lives in 45-50L, so will still retain a respectable mid 30hz..

The front baffle is a Frankenstein affair, 21mm ply (R100 offcuts from builders), and a reused tweeter cutout which I cut / fitted / filled to reuse, I was not going to make a new tweeter hole when I had a perfectly workable one  :thumbs:.. So the baffle is not top notch but if the speaker makes me happy I'll improve it.

Xfs4u87.jpg

so... box assembled, drivers added, internal wiring in place, port in place, internal stuffing in.. tick, tick tick, tick, tick..

Next measure and XO, I have worked with all these drivers before so not expecting it too take long, thinking to cross at approx 600-800, and close to 4K. Want to run the 10" higher than I previously have and see how that goes. May also end up sealed, have tried sealed before and these work well. All the needed XO components are in my goodies box..(es), so will try get sounds out before Christmas.