Author Topic: I just learnt the secret to unlocking my dacs performance  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Nikkel

Re: I just learnt the secret to unlocking my dacs performance
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 07:55:51 PM »
Both Foobar and JRiver does Wasapi and Asio exclusive. I've tried Roon, Audirvana, Foobar and JRiver and it all sounds exactly the same.

The reason I stuck with JRiver is for its video playback as well.

Offline sajunky

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 08:59:04 PM »
I'm not sure I can tell (sound wise) any difference between Audirvana and Foobar (which I've been using for years).  I believe it's member @naughty whom posted some guides here on how to properly set up Foobar and also make it look smart.  Perhaps he can link to those.
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/digital/pc-software/foobar-2000-for-dummies/
Forum link for this awesome setup. :)
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php?topic=48954

You sure?  Every non Roon certified DAC I own shows playback via WASAPI Exclusive Mode.  Default configuration settings, I do not recall ever having had to make changes, unless I did so in my sleep?  I do however see I now have two options under Audio settings with my Denafrips DAC, one WASAPI and one ASIO (only appeared after installing the Denafrips drivers).
There is also another option which define clock synchronisation method. Check on this page, scroll down to the advanced section there is an option "Enable Event Driven Mode (WASAPI only)": https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/audio-setup-basics

A few weeks ago I checked, this option was not enabled by default, now it says different. With this option disabled PC clock determine speed of the transfer. Receiving device have to adjust its own clock to the source speed. On the low quality cable you can hear occasional periodic artifacts, a sign of losing synchronisation. Enabling this option allows transfer speed synchronised with a DAC clock. Losing synchronisation happens very rare, when it happens there is rather a break of a stream for a fraction of second.

Other than a difference in sympthoms of losing synchronisation, for most of users there is no difference in SQ. This is because most of DACs use PLL synchronisation which effectively reduce USB clock jitter. However some quality DACs for the best SQ do not deploy PLL when not needed, then enabling this option becomes very important.

Whether Roon is using WASAPI exclusive mode (as claimed), you can check yourself. When you disable it in Windows and application still clames the same, then something is wrong with Roon.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:09:19 PM by sajunky »
If it measures good and sounds bad—it's bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing.
/ Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, Chief Engineer, H.H. Scott/

Offline naughty

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 09:19:47 PM »
I'm not sure I can tell (sound wise) any difference between Audirvana and Foobar (which I've been using for years).  I believe it's member @naughty whom posted some guides here on how to properly set up Foobar and also make it look smart.  Perhaps he can link to those.

the thread still exists but the problem is that i used photobucket to host the screen shots and photos - and my photobucket account was over the limit so they closed it down - so sadly those pics do not exist and the guide wont make any sense whatsover without the pictures

if there is enough interest then i could redo that guide i fneeds be but i'm not sure that too many people would still be using Foobar right now

Offline maharajs

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 08:26:44 AM »
Both Foobar and JRiver does Wasapi and Asio exclusive. I've tried Roon, Audirvana, Foobar and JRiver and it all sounds exactly the same.

The reason I stuck with JRiver is for its video playback as well.

Thanks for putting the answer to the exact question I had in mind :2thumbs: