Author Topic: Navigating the Headphone world  (Read 583 times)

Offline Vince MacMahon

Navigating the Headphone world
« on: November 18, 2020, 02:25:28 PM »

Iím looking for headsets that I can use for work purposes.

We spend a considerable amount of time communicating via Skype/MS Teams,
And also attend meetings for extended periods of time. Need over ear type.

I need something that has a good built in mic (doesnít need to be protruding).

I saw some very nice Seinheiser, upon enquiry, was told they donít have a Mic?

There are just way too many on the market,
The model naming is also a bit confusing for me; HD 450 HD45.0 ...

Iíd appreciate input and feedback.

This is not for music listening (so no need for top of the range audio performance....looking for comfort, mic quality for speaking during conversations or meetings)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline Deviation

Re: Navigating the Headphone world
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 02:43:38 PM »
People recommend ear buds rather than HP for what you are talking about. I heard apple airpods are really comfortable and good for this.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Offline neilh

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 06:07:34 PM »
Decent set of cans, with a sprinkling of pad rolling and a mod mic works for me. For the 8+ hour days with meetings and a bit of music mixed in

Online Trashy

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 06:31:28 PM »
The HD450 is just an updated version of the HD 4.50. Their naming does not make it easy to make sense of the hierarchy.

I have the 450 and they're decent. I have small ears but do find they get a little uncomfortable after a few hours of use.

The battery life is unbelievable and the noise cancelling is able to reduce low frequency noise rather well.

The microphone is built into the earpiece, and I can't say how it performs compared to other headphones, but people are always able to hear me clear enough that I have never been asked to repeat myself, and I do tend to mumble.

If you can get them for a decent price they're worth it, but I certainly wouldn't pay RRP.

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 09:51:33 PM »
Thanks - appreciate the feedback.
True, have been trying to understand their naming convention of the models , can be a bit tricky!

On ear pods, havenít given that type too much thought....thought the overear with decent padding might be more comfortable
Will explore

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 09:51:58 PM »
Decent set of cans, with a sprinkling of pad rolling and a mod mic works for me. For the 8+ hour days with meetings and a bit of music mixed in

What make and model?

Offline PillayR

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 05:50:01 PM »
If you are looking for a purely functional headset, Jabra make a few nice headsets with mics.

Quite reasonably priced too.

https://tech.co.za/product/jabra-evolve-20-headset-evolve20/

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »
Iím using a wired Jabra now...

Looking for wireless / cordless

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 07:49:52 PM »
If you think buying speakers can be complex, wait till you have to buy headphones!

To buy time whilst I unravel this, I bought B&W PX5.

Iíll keep learning, think might go to
BeyersDynamic
Sennheiser

Or
Apple AirPods Pro
Jabra Engage or Elite 85t

Will see, who knows, I might like the PX5 but early reviews says the mic is not great, will test on Monday during conference calls.

Offline Vince MacMahon

Navigating the Headphone world
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 03:28:40 PM »
First impressions:
Great for listening to music. Tonality is balanced, the mids and the highs are nicely balanced. They havenít broken in yet so the bass is not pronounced yet. From various reading, the bass becomes better after break-in period. They do feel like a premium product. I Love the functionality that they come with  (if you remove from ears, music pauses. Put back on, music continues. Effortless to pair with devices, being an Apple user, I get easily frustrated by complex configurations and setup processes....itís a deal breaker.).

Big Problem:
wrong tool for the job!
My need is conference calls usage not listening to music. I prefer my listen to music through my speakers.

The mics are behind the ear pads and not directly forward to the mouth piece like the wired Jabra set I have so the background noise is accentuated. If I click on the mouse while talking using them, it amplifies that noise.
Any small little background noise it amplifies it.

Luckily I have a medium sized head and ears, I believe if you have a big head and ears, youíd battle a bit as they can feel a bit tight. I had to adjust them quite a bit to be comfortable. In all honesty, I think I prefer over ear vs on ear, these are on ear. If I buy again, Iíd go for over the ear type.

Is this a user problem? I really hope so. I really do as I like the look, the feel, the effortless ďAppleĒ UX. Iíd like to keep them.

If itís not a user experience, then Iíd say near R7k for these headsets is a rip off!

Letís hope they scooped those awards for a valid reason. Iíll keep playing around with them till I can get them right, in the process Iím buying time to further learn about earphones / headsets / headphones.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:31:03 PM by Vince MacMahon »

Online royj

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • "You live everyday , you only die once
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 08:42:03 PM »
Vince,

Give the Sennheiser CX 150BT a tryout.
" Life is too short for mediocre sound"

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 08:43:16 PM »
Will do...thanks Roy

Offline Kgomotso Mabokela

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 01:17:52 PM »
Hi,

For such purposes, go el cheapo, i use JBL T110 and works perfectly and has a great built in mic. It's not wireless and it does the job exceptionally well.

I had the B&W PX headsets and found them to be heavy and too tight for my ears..

Good luck

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 02:54:41 PM »
Vince,

Give the Sennheiser CX 150BT a tryout.

Just checked, these are in-ear.
Prefer OverEars.

As usual, reviewers ignore call quality, ratings.com found the MIC to be of poor quality.