Author Topic: Suggestions for a sound bar  (Read 398 times)

Offline PAPPA3

Suggestions for a sound bar
« on: November 17, 2020, 09:29:13 AM »
Any suggestions for a good soundbar around the R10k mark.

Should be allow me to connect 2 surround speakers.

I'd like something that goes relatively loud and plays clears that doesn't distort (don't we all).

Will be used mainly for movies and watching TV

I'm new to soundbars, so out of my depth here

Any suggestions?
"The customer always complains that the price is too high, but then he goes off and brags about the bargain he got" - Proverbs 20:14, The Bible

Offline BiZKiT

Re: Suggestions for a sound bar
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »
New Klipsch  :groovy:

Offline RS4

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 03:37:56 PM »
@Pappa, stretch the budget a bit and go with the Sonos ARC ATMOS soundbar.

Has the capability to add 2x surround speakers, and the imagery and detail from such a system blows my mind.
Optoma
Cyrus, Dynaudio, Anthem, JL Audio!

:oppo: ?

Offline Chingy

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 10:38:39 AM »
@Pappa, stretch the budget a bit and go with the Sonos ARC ATMOS soundbar.

Has the capability to add 2x surround speakers, and the imagery and detail from such a system blows my mind.
As What Josh Said.
I moved from AVR and 3xspeakers in bedroom to Sonos, amazing, even sold all my Denon Heos speakers and changed to Sonos,  :thumbs:
Plug-In

Offline PAPPA3

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 01:35:56 PM »
Thanks everyone.  It will be for my main system for movies.  Would not need to do good stereo, just good for movies and TV.  My current system is about R25-30k and it's very good.  I was hoping to downscale and save a few bucks in the process.

The Sonos Arc is about the price of my current system, so it won't really free up much money.  In that case I will probably keep my system.

I'm happy to look at good, used systems, but want to max out at about R10k

"The customer always complains that the price is too high, but then he goes off and brags about the bargain he got" - Proverbs 20:14, The Bible

Offline PAPPA3

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »
I see the Polk Magnifi 2 comes with a sub, and with 3 HDMI in and one out.  Those extra HDMI inputs help a lot

Offline juventino

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 04:22:58 PM »
Listening put on hold for a while, but end game reached. Couldnt be happier with my system. Next will be new room tweaks.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 07:05:01 PM »
I had the polk and the new Klipsch cinema 600 knocks the pants off it and good in stereo also, go look at Andrew Robinsons review. On sale now for R12900 for 5.1

Offline undrcvrgeek

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 10:30:57 AM »
Sorry to hijack thread slightly - how effective are soundbars in an open plan kitchen / dining room / lounge type setup? Also looking at this option so as not to have components and speakers visible.

Offline jvr

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 10:33:43 AM »
Must say, the SONOS ARC looks the part on paper. Its tempting to replace one's entire HT set-up with that. I wonder how it deals with lossless stereo and high res surround audio. Some of these soundbars don't play back lossless, some only do BT, some don't have HDMI inputs meaning that it can't play high res surround from e.g. a BD player, even though it can stream Atmos. 
Lend me your ears