WHY DO THESE BLACK DISCS SOUND MORE RIGHT THAN WRONG?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre Vermeulen

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jumped in the car,took a short trip just a few suburbs away.R1500 was handed over and i left with a Project debut 3.I must just state that its been a good 20 years since i've spun them up and i did not have high hopes of any great re-discovery of bygone years.Exited the car with great trepidation and expecting hell's fury upon entry...imagine my surprise when a warm smile awaited me.Time for a quick inspection...horror of all horrors the stylis is bent...(tears well up in my eyes)Ortofon om5 cartridge and all else looks good...oh well here goes..bent it reasonably straight,popped it back on and prayed.Rca's into the Classe dr6....into the Radford sta15....out to the Fostex fe 166 spiral horns and we're off...or not.Tripped over beds,toys,dead rats and a litter of kittens in the wendy house to retrieve some big black and mouldy discs for this experiment."The Joshua Tree"was staple for me in the 80's but the shiny little silver disc sounded anaemic,lifeless,cold and well sterile to me...out comes the lp...snap..crackle,pop...raw,edgier,far more "real" and a damn side more believable(...am i suffering new toy neurosis or is there more to this madness?