Author Topic: Soekris DAC2541  (Read 760 times)

Offline GoodEnoughGear

Re: Soekris DAC2541
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 07:16:03 AM »
Well courtesy of UPS the DAC is here, sort of maybe, or not. After having to call twice to get an invoice for Duties and VAT and then being directed to email the manager of that department myself to get it done, we cleared customs and it was due for delivery yesterday.

Late in the day the status updates to "Delivery Attempted", saying that the receiving business was closed and they need to reschedule. Well the address was my home, not a business and I was here all day long and so clearly this is a falsehood. A negative post on social media got a swift response...

The first explanation was that this "Delivery Attempted' status was internally mapped to an error code meaning that the package never made it onto the delivery van. In response to my assertion that that was a load of carp, they then backtracked saying they 'mis-entered' the status, and that is is very difficult to correct once it is in the system. So sorry for the inconvenience.

So now I wait, with an indeterminate status at UPS which is kinda signalling to me they have no idea where this package actually is.

It still blows me away that even postal services can get packages TO SA from other continents in 24 hours and once they land here it's a black hole of incompetence and just outright not giving a darn.

Mobile: LG V60, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC1541, Genelec 8030+7050, HD600

Online fredeb

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 06:12:55 PM »
I'm sorry you didn't get it today . Still ... good to know it's here . I can't wait to hear your impressions .

What amp/s and headphones will you be trying the dac with ?

...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 07:54:29 PM »
It's here! Arrived at 5...warming up and quite promising.

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 07:18:20 AM »
DAC2541 is in, been warming up for about 12 hours, so I'll probably give it til Sunday before doing much critical listening.

Of course last night I took the opportunity to do casual listening and comparison. I can say this much: well done, Soekris. With the same audio running through both, improvements are evident even cold. The kind you can hear with quick attentive listening but more importantly the kind that make themselves evident without having to listen. As in noticing randomly "wait that doesn't sound as good as I was hearing, which DAC am I on? Oh, it's DAC1541" and switch, and "Aaaah, yes, there it is!". The same house sound, but like it's been working out and is clearly more athletic and better defined.

Setup is Surface Pro/JRiver with linked Zones for DAC1541 and DAC2541 using WASAPI because the ASIO Driver only seems to let me address one dac at a time. Connection is USB out to both DACs from Surface Dock. From the DACS into a GoldPoint Selector, into a GoldPoint 47-step Level control and from there balanced out to the Genelecs. I have adapters from SE to BAL so I can compare BAL to BAL and SE to SE.

Heaphones are a convenience case for me, but I will compare using HD600 SE and BAL, but also taking the SE headphone outs to the Genelecs just because it's easy to do.

Review to follow after the weekend sometime.

Online Katji

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 10:26:15 AM »
hmmm, interesting, reading about Goldpoint stuff.  Inc. 2009 post by @gavinbirss