Author Topic: Any musicians here?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: Any musicians here?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 09:31:43 PM »
This however  :notworthy: :notworthy:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwTu8XQDkMhd8UHp4uOzb3g
 is at another level - about 3 miles high. And a genuine modesty too. He is on the forum but I'll leave it him to introduce himself, if he feels like it.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline DRNB

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 12:38:54 PM »
I would have loved to take up the French horn - what a fantastic instrument. However, the horn is a reed instrument and quite a bit different from the Cornet.

Are you sure you are not thinking of something else? The French horn is a brass instrument with similar, just much smaller, mouthpiece than the Cornet or trumpet. It's much more difficult to play though.

My oldest brother used to play the French horn and used to play for the Correctional Service's band a very long time ago. My other brother used to play the Tuba, also in the Correctional Service's band, and later for the Army band in Kroonstad.
My second brother is no longer with us, but they both liked good HiFi, but nothing extreme. To them the technical capabilities of the musician has always been more important than the accurate reproduction of the life instrument. Shucks, my late brother even listened to Steve Hofmeyr's "Toeka" CD, and the recording on that CD is awful.
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline DRNB

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 12:51:43 PM »
My son is a professional drummer, and also play some guitar casually. Unlike my two brothers, my son's attention to detail when it comes to HiFi listening is fantastic. I would definitely say that being a musician helped him to appreciate a good sound reproduction.
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Online Swindlehurstguy

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 01:11:20 PM »
Hehehe, Zoki. He's not on the forum though.
Here's a sample of his guitar playing craft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APqniZei82g
Mike you know who I meant, I did not mean Zoki...😏

Offline PvA

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 01:58:42 PM »
I think that playing an instrument definitely helps in knowing what to "look" for in audio kit, and identifying it.  Having played the bass guitar it is unfortunately a difficult ask as IMHO there are not many systems that can reproduce the frequencies created by a bass guitar and bass drum.

Like mentioned by other members, I also definitely listen to the individual instruments.  There is a negative side as well, when it comes to record producing.  You can immediately pick up on over produced music.  It becomes too clinical, which is why I find myself enjoying live recordings and unplugged sessions much more than studio recorded albums.
Audiolab 8000c pre, Audiolab 8200CD, Linn LP12, 2X NAD C272's,  Sonor Audio Lyras.

Offline Katji

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 02:57:51 PM »
Mike you know who I meant, I did not mean Zoki...😏
:D  Good to see my guess verified.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 05:00:24 PM »
Are you sure you are not thinking of something else? The French horn is a brass instrument with similar, just much smaller, mouthpiece than the Cornet or trumpet. It's much more difficult to play though.

My oldest brother used to play the French horn and used to play for the Correctional Service's band a very long time ago. My other brother used to play the Tuba, also in the Correctional Service's band, and later for the Army band in Kroonstad.
My second brother is no longer with us, but they both liked good HiFi, but nothing extreme. To them the technical capabilities of the musician has always been more important than the accurate reproduction of the life instrument. Shucks, my late brother even listened to Steve Hofmeyr's "Toeka" CD, and the recording on that CD is awful.
My bad, meant the Oboe yes. Did any of your brothers perhaps learn from Turner in Kroonstad?

I think playing the drums must be a very satisfying experience, especially in a very primal way.
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”  Alan Watts

Offline PierreM

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 05:58:40 PM »
Hey Mike, how come you haven't aged in 6 years?

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 07:04:27 PM »
Hey Mike, how come you haven't aged in 6 years?
Thank you.   :cleansound:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+158)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2020, 07:53:24 AM »
Most of my musician friends (the drummer Maurice Gawronsky is an old friend) as are several of the Cape Town jazz musicians are not particular about the equipment they use to listen to music.  Maurice uses a pair of computer speakers about the size of a small box of chocolates.  He says it allows him to hear all that is necessary

He has issued several CDs of his sessions at the Winchester Hotel and played through a more revealing system (mine) they are really good, well engineered recordings.  He sat down here and we played the whole CD through and he admitted that he had never heard the detail that he was now listening to

Despite having a collection of 600 CDs, it did not inspire him to upgrade what he had
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 08:08:00 AM »
My experience over the years knowing and meeting musicians is that the majority who play for a means of a livelihood have other priorities, there are some exceptions. (Whats the difference between a South African Musician and a large pizza? At a push a large pizza can feed a family.). Ray Phiri was one who liked hifi and Mathys Roets another. Speaking to a lutier at some point he told me his expensive crafts go to hobbyists. Professionals are often not keen on the risk that goes with transporting an instrument of high value all over the place. Perhaps once you reach a level of fame where you travel biz class or on a private jet it changes.

Those musicians that I have sold hifi to or know have spent music on hifi are often retired from music as a livelihood or play as a hobby, some very good/serious.
Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudio?igshid=1wzr83vlqtbyy

Offline DRNB

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 12:13:06 PM »
Did any of your brothers perhaps learn from Turner in Kroonstad?

I doubt that, the name does not ring a bell. But they received most of their earlier training in Amersfoort/Ermelo Mpumalanga, and their advanced musical training in-house while working at the Correctional Services band, and did their exams through Trinity College.

They, just like myself, started with this band when still in primary school. I was just never good enough to make a career out of it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:28:55 PM by DRNB »

Offline adie

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2020, 10:17:59 PM »

Offline Katji

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 02:27:01 PM »
 is at another level - about 3 miles high. And a genuine modesty too. He is on the forum but I'll leave it him to introduce himself, if he feels like it.
I don't know much about jazz, generally, but I knew Dollar Brand.  ...When those records were new, of course.  One of my friends could play like that, sort of, endless improvisation, and there was another guy who we found playing like that at the Students Union hall. The hotel down the road wanted him to come and play in the bar but he wasn't interested.  Same hotel where my Fender Bassman amp was sometimes heard, half a block away. Bit embarrassing now, because it really was just 3 or 4 chords, unfortunate influence of the Sex Pistols.  ...I tried to put a Fane horn tweeter on top of it but it didn't work.

Offline adie

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 04:59:39 PM »

Neil. Gosh, yes! Interviewed him when I was a radio jock and have Tonk, his album at the time.
Didn't know he was on the forum, though saw he was selling speakers elsewhere some months back.