Author Topic: Which cable is better?  (Read 926 times)

Offline ernestank

Re: Which cable is better?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2020, 08:22:28 PM »
I used cat 5e for short runs and have never had problems. I have now changed all my cables to cat 6. Much better!

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2020, 09:04:31 PM »
I used cat 5e for short runs and have never had problems. I have now changed all my cables to cat 6. Much better!
I am dying to know for which purpose and length you use these cables and if you could please qualify and quantify the "much better" statement?
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline ernestank

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 11:42:47 AM »
I am dying to know for which purpose and length you use these cables and if you could please qualify and quantify the "much better" statement?
All systems are running Gb ethernet. From 10 to 80 meters Cat 5 and e did not work. Much Better cat6 worked.

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2020, 01:19:38 PM »
50m+ if not inside metal trunk/shielded, I can understand. Shorter runs, not. I have the whole house interior wrapped in unholy web of Cat5, no issues.

My (home) experience is that 99% of network issues are due to home-user / consumer grade routers and switches collapsing under the load (number of devices and bandwidth) and/or a mix of pro and consumer grade network equipment being deployed. 
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline sajunky

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2020, 11:14:07 PM »
50m+ if not inside metal trunk/shielded, I can understand. Shorter runs, not. I have the whole house interior wrapped in unholy web of Cat5, no issues.
According to the standard 100m Cat5e must must run gigabit link, no trunk required nor it would help, but a Cat5, is obsolete.
If it measures good and sounds bad—it's bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing.
/ Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, Chief Engineer, H.H. Scott/

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2020, 09:16:48 PM »
Cardas  speak to MR G you wont Regret it
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."