Author Topic: Where do you guys buy your tubes from ?  (Read 948 times)

Offline muddda

Where do you guys buy your tubes from ?
« on: November 01, 2020, 07:20:11 AM »
Hey Guys,

Thought I find out where you guys get your tubes from ....

I have bought from ebay (This took a while to get here, and I have not used them yet, but hopefully they all good, they did arrive and were as stated), then I have bought off this forum and that went well. (Thanks to the guys here I bought from)

I have bought from tubestore a dotcom site, and tonetubes a local tube store. Both very good.

I noticed that amazon also sells tubes, anyone have experience buying tubes from amazon ?

Offline Curlycat

Re: Where do you guys buy your tubes from ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 09:51:21 AM »
I started off buying from these shops. Tubedepot.com and  Thetubestore.com/

I like eBay because the selection is usually good. I know the risks involved with buying from there. So far I have been lucky and have not had any bad experiences.
I like buying local as well, though availability is somewhat limited.

I have purchased items from Amazon. Not tubes though. Smooth transaction.

I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.  Alan Watts

Offline Nidri

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 02:53:12 PM »
As above.

Also:
https://www.langrex.co.uk/
https://www.watfordvalves.com/
https://tctubes.com/

I'd recommend also trying a Wanted Ad on the forum if you're looking for something specific. I've bought some great tubes from members here.
Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.

Online gavinbirss

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 06:27:04 PM »
Honest test data may be the problem with EBAY and no test data only stating new old stock or new in the box doesn't mean they test well or have balanced sections if applicable.

Those having tube testers may need to be asked to re-test and some are very fussy with foreign or tubes from a particular origin.

It really depends on if you are looking for common tubes or special variants or special quality tubes.

There are also limited uber quality samples form manufacturers like ELROG and the like.

I have recently bought some PSVANE and other tubes from tubeamp doctor and some special 7236 tubes from tubeworldexpress.

PSVANE may be frowned upon some but they even make new/old experimental tubes for Audio Note.

A lot of common tube suppliers have tubes available on Amazon but there the seller and shipper may not be Amazon.

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en
https://tubeworldexpress.com/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 06:32:50 PM by gavinbirss »

Offline Darrell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • Listening in Nirvana ......
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 09:34:05 AM »
I have very recently purchased twice from Amazon, first was 8 x 845 tubes, second time was 4 x 845's, both sets took 3 weeks from order to delivered at home. Very smooth and pleasant transaction, with good communication and tracking, and includes the usual Amazon safety net. Next time I purchase, it will be Amazon again  :rubhands: :rubhands:

Offline fredeb

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 10:55:15 AM »
I have very recently purchased twice from Amazon, first was 8 x 845 tubes, second time was 4 x 845's, both sets took 3 weeks from order to delivered at home. Very smooth and pleasant transaction, with good communication and tracking, and includes the usual Amazon safety net. Next time I purchase, it will be Amazon again  :rubhands: :rubhands:

Do you mind posting which Amazon seller @Darrell ?

...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Darrell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • Listening in Nirvana ......
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 03:07:36 PM »
It was Amazon Seller - Salience Hi-Fi Audio, Nina

Online georgev

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 03:25:38 PM »

How long did shipping take? What courier did they use?
" For by Grace you have been saved through Faith..............It is the free gift of God". Ephesians 2: 8-9

Offline Jozua_2019

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 03:50:13 PM »
I prefer buying new from the agents.  I rather pay the extra premium for matched pairs than risk it with the unknown. 

NOS - never !

Online gavinbirss

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 11:12:53 PM »
I prefer buying new from the agents.  I rather pay the extra premium for matched pairs than risk it with the unknown. 

NOS - never !

Agreed this should be 1st option with brand name products, some surely do test all operating parameters for their particular gear even some secret parameters.

Online georgev

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 12:20:33 PM »

Bought from Salience Hi Fi, via ebay, and shipping was in less than a week.
" For by Grace you have been saved through Faith..............It is the free gift of God". Ephesians 2: 8-9

Offline Crafty

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 10:56:03 PM »
I bought from Andre from the cape.(forgot his nickname) Upgraded my preamp to from 12ax7 to 6922 and the difference was day and night. (for my setup at least with slightly lower heater voltage)
I can now crank up the volume to max with not even a whisper of white noise when nothing is playing.
Bass is punchier, and highs are less distorting. more refined.
Andre sells good stuff.
Support Local. Pretty sure he can source what you need.

*EDIT*

Kent Kasler is your man!

Offline fredeb

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 07:08:50 AM »
@Kent Kassler is Andre's forum nick .
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts