Does anyone still flash custom ROMs?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use a custom ROM on your Android device?

• Total voters

Zilch

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I was recently given a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge to fix up.  The camera len cracked and the owner took it to someone who replaced it with a plastic len (so needs a glass one).  Also needs a new battery.  That's basically it.

But TouchWiz really annoyed me (which was fine because it's not my phone), but then I helpfully offered to install a new ROM, explained all the risks (bricking your device, voiding the warranty, etc) and the benefits (newer security patches, support for newer software, etc).

So I downloaded Odin to install TWRP, and from there I install an unofficial build of Lineage OS 17.1.  And all went well, without a single issue.

So here I am sitting, playing with "Dark Mode" and the latest features of Android 10, and wondering why there isn't a lot of people still doing it.  Boot time is sped up significantly; software is FASTER then TouchWiz; it's even more STABLE then TouchWiz.

Why not?  You can use your old phone rather than throwing it away and save the environment (or whatever needs saving)!