Author Topic: Would you pay more than R80,000 for this portable R2R dac/amp?  (Read 579 times)

Online pwatts

Re: Would you pay more than R80,000 for this portable R2R dac/amp?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2020, 09:39:40 PM »
firstly even though its an old discontinued chip it is arguably better than most modern equivalents that are mass produced - Hifiman bought off the last few of those old discontinued chips and as you know supply and demand dictates the price - so don't discount the old stuff altogether before you sample it - plus these units are using 4 of those chips

yes you would have heard better and possibly very different but for what these things are you may be pleasantly surprised when you compare it to bigger and suposedly much better and far more expensive equipment  ;)

the thing is though not everyone is into Head-Fi - for the people who are - these things are worth way above their weight in gold (literally) - so i'm not going to try and change your mind but there are a few fans of these hi-end items and these things make sense for them in the same way as buying a Krell Amp makes sense to a Hi-Fi enthusiast
You misread the original quote that asked what lies in store in the future. I'm not arguing against the merits of the venerable 1704, I said if it's still the best there is (which it very likely is) why would it be any different 5y from now or so.

Offline Katji

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 10:57:13 PM »
You can do better with R80k...

Offline naughty

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 01:16:31 AM »
You can do better with R80k...

LOL - i believe you  ;) but personally i would hardly carry that about - probably sounds sublime but its a bit big, to say the least, isn't it? Plus it would make you a prime target if you were in a train here in SA - so you do want something cigarette packet sized with unobtrusive looking IEMs here  :nfi: (discretion is the better part of valor here sadly)

You misread the original quote that asked what lies in store in the future. I'm not arguing against the merits of the venerable 1704, I said if it's still the best there is (which it very likely is) why would it be any different 5y from now or so.

ah my bad sir ..... after reading this post i totally agree with you - and in the sentiments of your previous post too  :notworthy:

anyways with R80k to R100k which is where the pricing of the HM1000 lands - i would really chose something like a Lotoo PAW Gold touch with a nice IEM - it would be several notches up above what i use for my current portable setup due to my dire financial situation (im using a Fiio M11 DAP with a set of KZ AS16 IEMs ..... both of which are entry level cheapies but yet they are pretty okay - but my setup should give those Devialet IEMs a veritable scare and make it wet its pants a bit .... (just my opinion) but yes that Lotoo gold touch and possibly a set of Andromeda V1s (the first original set of Andromeda should be a terrific endgame setup ..... or even something like what Guy (Gler) uses like a set of 64 Audio IEMS ad possible a Hiby DAP (maybe their new flagship the R8 which will interest the guys who like to tinker with software as well the guys who love great sound) ...... choices, choices but i'm still a little ways away financially from endgame portable stuff like that ..... but yes i wouldn't chose the HM1000 at its price range, because there are other interesting all-in-one units that are going to be convenient and also topnotch in terms of audio quality and the type of sound that a Head-Fier audiophile would be after
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:18:47 AM by naughty »

Offline Katji

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 01:36:48 PM »
That pic went viral.  There's also one showing it close-up on a desk. Apparently he has 100k+ gear. And apparently he can hear the dinner bell a week in advance.  lol

Offline naughty

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 03:24:12 PM »
That pic went viral.  There's also one showing it close-up on a desk. Apparently he has 100k+ gear. And apparently he can hear the dinner bell a week in advance.  lol

LOL @ hear the dinner bell a week in advance

I wonder if that's 100k in dollars or R100k  in ZA Rands - if it's ZA Rands then not so hectic but I'm assuming 100k is in dollars - plenty people here are close to R100k with one DAP + IEM + balanced cables for IEMs

Offline Katji

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 03:32:06 PM »
Yes, assuming $.  Someone said, not verified.  There is a list too, of the gear, starting with iPhone.  I went to google images to find it elsewhere, to avoid triggering anyone re the site I was looking at.  :)
Hardcore, really.  ...I think someone said it weighs about 7lb.

Offline Katji

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »

This seems to be a head-fi shop in Japan.  Auditioning.

iPhone XS Max 1100

Astell&Kern AK380 DAP 3000

Unknown (DAP?)

Unknown (battery pack?)

Mass Kobo 404 balanced amp 1500

Chord Hugo DAC (left) 1800

Sony WM1Z DAP (right) 2500

Mysphere 3 headphones 3000

Grado PS2000E headphones 2700
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:05:35 PM by Katji »

Offline xenithon

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 05:26:18 PM »

iPhone XS Max 1100

Astell&Kern AK380 DAP 3000

Unknown (DAP?)

Unknown (battery pack?)

Mass Kobo 404 balanced amp 1500

Chord Hugo DAC (left) 1800

Sony WM1Z DAP (right) 2500

Mysphere 3 headphones 3000

Grado PS2000E headphones 2700

Sticky tape holding all the cables together - priceless

Offline Katji

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »
^^^That's weird, really weird, no Velcro ties.  But he has some rubber strap things holding the stack together.  Apparently the Grados his daily driver. You can see how worn the writing is.  I wonder what he has at home, like speakers.

Offline naughty

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2020, 10:29:00 PM »
either way a guy walking around like that wont be too fussed if he replaced all that with just one player ie a Sony DMPZ1 priced at $8500 (headphones or cable not included  :whistler:) .... and i bet he would carry it around too since Sony market it as part of their walkman range

https://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-dmp-z1-digital-music-player

Offline christowp

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2020, 01:02:19 PM »
Only sounds right with the Mohawk hairdo - how much does that add to the cost in US$?

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2020, 01:32:12 PM »
Only sounds right with the Mohawk hairdo - how much does that add to the cost in US$?

I'm guessing it has to do with soundstage - widens stereo separation, less crosstalk between channels. Either that or it serves as some sort of mechanical Meier crossfeed?
 :ROFLMAO:

Offline Banjuka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • My heart is warm and slightly v-shaped.
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2020, 09:50:53 AM »