Author Topic: Projector recommendations for sports and movies  (Read 394 times)

Offline Edk

Projector recommendations for sports and movies
« on: October 12, 2020, 09:44:10 AM »
Good day.
I am looking for recommendations on a 4K projector, short or long throw, around the R20k mark or cheaper. I will use it for watching sports and movies.
Screen size ideally 100 inches or so.
Has anyone got any recommendations for such a projector to buy in SA or the UK? I will be traveling to the UK soon and can buy one there.
Any recommendations on a screen material would be welcome too.
Thank you

Online resham

Re: Projector recommendations for sports and movies
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 01:03:40 PM »
Hello
Is it a dedicated cinema room, or open setup - is there a lot of ambient lighting ?
What is the projection distance if not ultra-short throw ?

Resh
Thanks
Resh

Offline Edk

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 02:15:15 PM »
Hi.

Distance can be adjusted as I wont fix it to the ceiling. But on average it will be 3-4 meters from the screen.
There will be ambient lighting but will darken it as much as possible with curtains.

It will be a living room, unfortunately not a dedicated cinema room.

Thank you

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 02:50:49 PM »
Hi.

Distance can be adjusted as I wont fix it to the ceiling. But on average it will be 3-4 meters from the screen.
There will be ambient lighting but will darken it as much as possible with curtains.

It will be a living room, unfortunately not a dedicated cinema room.

Thank you

For your use case you will need something that is pretty bright. Even with curtains drawn, most rooms have plenty of ambient light during the day.

The Optoma UHD30 is just over R20k and has 3400 lumens. That is probably as bright as you will get aon an entry level 4K projector.

Both the similarly priced 4K offerings from BENQ (w1700) and Sony (TW7000) are below 3000 lumens with the BENQ 2600 and the Sony 3000 respectively.
The Optoma also has a 240hz refresh at 1080P on its gaming mode. So it should be good for sport.

EDIT:
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,89906.msg1020211/boardseen.html#new
Josh has the UHD51 for sale. I have this exact model that I use and it is pretty good projector. It is "only" 2400 lumens though.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 02:58:50 PM by Drifter »

Offline Edk

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 10:32:34 AM »
thank you so much for all the recommendations and info.

I will be sure to have a look.

Thank you

Offline Fahiem

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 11:02:36 AM »
The Optoma UHD 30 for your budget is probably going to be your best bet, as stated by Drifter it is fairly bright for a non-dedicated home cinema room and should be good enough for watching sport as it more designed for gaming with a 240hz refresh rate.

For now the pricing on 4K projection is still high in the entry level range...

Offline Genesis777

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 11:37:54 PM »
I would agree on the Optoma UHD30 considering your budget. Otherwise I would look for a 2nd hand UHD51 or UHD40 with low hours on the bulb. The latter two are excellent projectors for movies and sports if you are looking for something a little more higher end.
Denon RX-A3600H, Parasound 2250 v2, Optoma UHD51, B&W 683 S2, B&W HTM61 S2, B&W 685 S2, Yamaha YST-SW800, Cambridge Audio 640C, Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S7200

Offline Genesis777

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 07:31:11 AM »
BTW I would also consider the Epson 5040UB at this price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Denon RX-A3600H, Parasound 2250 v2, Optoma UHD51, B&W 683 S2, B&W HTM61 S2, B&W 685 S2, Yamaha YST-SW800, Cambridge Audio 640C, Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S7200

Offline DKNY

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 10:06:59 PM »
Also chat to RS4 who is part of this forum. I think he sells high end projectors for a living and seen him advertise a few on the forum.

Offline Des Miles

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 02:36:54 PM »

Have had a ceiling mounted projector for the past several years, but instead of up grading it, I decided rather to purchase a large screen LG TV. As far as projectors go, the future is the short throw type 4K laser projectors that sit at the bottom of the screen, one example link below.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/projectors/vava-4k-ultra-short-throw-laser-projector-review/
I saw Sputnik, well... actually the booster rocket that went into orbit with it!!

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 05:02:02 PM »
Have had a ceiling mounted projector for the past several years, but instead of up grading it, I decided rather to purchase a large screen LG TV. As far as projectors go, the future is the short throw type 4K laser projectors that sit at the bottom of the screen, one example link below.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/projectors/vava-4k-ultra-short-throw-laser-projector-review/

His budget will not allow for one of those.

Offline Des Miles

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 08:58:29 PM »
^^^^^^
Yes I agree, I think that for most of us these projectors are still way out of our league money wise. Maybe in a few years time....... :whistler:
I saw Sputnik, well... actually the booster rocket that went into orbit with it!!