Charging car batteries, myths or not?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumb and Dumber

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
My father car battery just suddenly could not hold charge overnight anymore. We were told by more than one car battery fitment shop the following that I simply cannot believe.

1. Cars alternators cannot fully charge a battery, no matter how far you drive it.
Is there any truth in that statement?

2. Automatic cut-off car battery chargers do not fully charge a car battery.
i then made the statement why do they sell chargers that cannot fully charge a battery. Then we were explained it cuts off due to the voltage, but the amps still did not built up.

That is just to hard to believe for me. My father trusted them as they are the experts. Their advice was to charge the battery for 3 days. I said its impossible as the auto cut-off charger shuts of after about 8 hours of charging. They then said use a older dumb charger. My father did. Then overnight the battery still went to 11.9V despite not being in the car and not connected.
Clearly the battery is done for, but strangely both shops tested the battery with their expensive equipment, before we charged it up for 3 days. And both said the battery is 100% fine, it just needs a good charge.

Latest posts