Author Topic: New Room  (Read 555 times)

Offline Greyman

New Room
« on: October 05, 2020, 10:42:06 AM »
Hello :) I am starting on a new journey of putting together a listening/workroom at home. I thought here would be a great place to document the process and get some help along the way.

The space is a 4m wide loft room with an open back that extends back 8m.(usable space 3.8m)  The vaulted ceiling starts at 2.6m up to 3.8m (above listening position) then down to the lower level. See pics below.

I measured the room this morning to try find the spot where the low-end has the smoothest response and the least amount of nulls  :facepalm:

Thanks for following along and please shout if you have any advice  :clap:

Offline Timber_MG

Re: New Room
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 11:00:24 AM »
What does your ETC look like for the first 20-30ms? Seems like you're going for a RFZ/LEDE approach ?

Offline Greyman

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 11:44:58 AM »
Hello Timber, Yes :) Going for a RFZ/LEDE approach, Here is the ETC as requested. Hope thats right.

picture url

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 12:09:30 PM »
Is this with the mic at your intended listening position? Reflections seem a bit low or it might be a near-field application.

Is this for a home studio?

Offline Greyman

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 12:39:55 PM »
Yes, a home studio room. The mic was at the near-field position, I tried a variety of spots looking at the 20-200 range and that configuration seemed the best for the low-end.

Offline Greyman

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 05:36:54 PM »
Added an extra 20cm to the front corner traps and started on the absorption for the first reflection points. I have decided to go with the John Brandt design so a touch of air, medium-density Rockwool followed by "waveguides" and filled with low-density insulation. 

Here is a link to the 8" version
https://www.jhbrandt.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/1154-A%20Trap%20Section%208%20Inch.pdf

Suspended ceiling underway - which has been rather interesting given the vaulted ceiling but should have the frame done this week. Then acoustic tiles with a layer of low-density insulation above that. I will however have no tiles in the first reflection spot and perhaps an extra layer of low-density insulation. Once the ceiling is up and the broadband absorption has been installed in the corners and the first reflection points I will get measuring again and see where I am and judge the overall feel of the space.

I have allocated a large section on the front wall and center of the side walls as well as in the corners for membrane traps. With the concrete walls seems no way around it - broadband absorption just won't cut it...plus too much would just kill the space.

But overall a complete mess but should all come together at the end.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 05:42:22 PM »
Interesting thread! Subbed  :thumbs:
Please don't be shy with the pictures.
I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.  Alan Watts

Offline Greyman

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 05:55:19 PM »
Suspended ceiling frame is up.Waveguides are in place and started to fill with insulation. The goal for this week is to now extend the top of the traps to the suspended ceiling and get cracking on the front wall.

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+83)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 06:07:53 PM »
Subscribed and enjoying the progress pics  :thumbs:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Greyman

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 02:47:10 PM »
Extended the traps to the ceiling and filled with insulation. Waiting on the wood for the membrane traps to arrive. Otherwise slowly taking shape. Happy Monday. Thanks for checking in  :dop: