Audio and Video Talk > Computers & Networking

Green 3TB drives - timeline to debut?

<< < (2/4) > >>

dotVIBE:
Green are mostly used as storage drives. They use less power, but have have slower spin up times and read/write speeds. Black drives have dual processors and good performance. then you get blue drives in the middle.

Andrew:

--- Quote from: dotVIBE on April 15, 2011, 11:04:57 AM ---Green are mostly used as storage drives. They use less power, but have have slower spin up times and read/write speeds. Black drives have dual processors and good performance. then you get blue drives in the middle.

--- End quote ---

Ah, tks.

ara:
plus don't use green drives in raid as it causes LLC problems

neilh:
LLC problems?

I'm also thinking of the Green route for my NAS project. You say nay?

ara:
Not nay. Just disable the head parking as per my FreeNAS guide I'm busy with. What happens is to "make the drives green" the head parks it self after 8 seconds. Then when data is accessed the head "lifts" again then "parks" itself again. Now the life cycle of this is fairly large. Typically use of these drives is single desktop drive that you will access every now and then so no problem at all. Now what happens in a raid scenarios is that irrespective of what you use (even the smallest tiniest of file) will make all of the drives to constantly load and unload, etc. This puts stain on the drive that can cause failures. This also has an indirect impact on TLER (Time-limited error recovery) problems. By disabling this your drive becomes less green but you can also set it to 300 seconds instead of 8 seconds. Seagates have less of a problem but I prefer to use WD green drives because I can actually control it. That way you won't have this problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version