Author Topic: Dolby Vision enabled TV'  (Read 749 times)

Offline JasonK

Dolby Vision enabled TV'
« on: September 29, 2020, 01:12:42 PM »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is using Dolby Vision enabled TV in SA and is it a step up from normal HDR content? This is based off a Midrange TV budget so excluding the likes of your OLED displays.

Does Netflix even do DV in South Africa?

Regards

Online KenMasters

Re: Dolby Vision enabled TV'
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 01:29:57 PM »
Dolby Vision is a step up from HDR 10, but it's quite possible you wouldn't know there was a difference unless you did a side by side comparison. They both adhere to the same picture standard, the difference between them is the accuracy with which the TV can tone-map the image.

Netflix does support DV in S.A. (assuming you have a premium subscription).

Offline XL1000

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »
My new LG 8600 does DV and Netflix / Apple TV not sure which does bring up the Dolby Vision when the content has it.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline RS4

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 12:53:11 AM »
Sony TV's are back in SA.
They all support Dolby Vision. However, the X900H is the one which can best utilize it.

@KenMasters
Take a look at the HDFury adapters. They edit the EDID, sending the TV a Dolby Vision signal disguised as a HDR10+ dynamic metadata signal. Resulting in Samsung's (and other non native DV sets) being able to play DV content.
The results are seriously impressive, I do wish Vincent would review one tho.
Optoma
Cyrus, Dynaudio, Anthem, JL Audio!

:oppo: ?

Online KenMasters

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 06:23:09 AM »
@KenMasters
Take a look at the HDFury adapters. They edit the EDID, sending the TV a Dolby Vision signal disguised as a HDR10+ dynamic metadata signal. Resulting in Samsung's (and other non native DV sets) being able to play DV content.
The results are seriously impressive, I do wish Vincent would review one tho.

Player lead Dolby Vision has its issues, but it's an interesting work-around.

Offline JasonK

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 07:37:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I suppose the question is can midrange TV's really do HDR, let alone DV justice. The Sony 900h is 50k for the 75inch  :nutter:

Online KenMasters

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 07:51:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I suppose the question is can midrange TV's really do HDR, let alone DV justice. The Sony 900h is 50k for the 75inch  :nutter:

The point of DV is to improve HDR on displays that are less capable. So while a midrange TV still won't offer the best HDR experience, it will do a better job via DV than it would HDR 10.

Offline Steve

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 09:36:32 AM »
The point of DV is to improve HDR on displays that are less capable. So while a midrange TV still won't offer the best HDR experience, it will do a better job via DV than it would HDR 10.
Ken, based on this, is there any merit in disregarding all 4K/UHD BD players which don't feature Dolby Vision, since the player will be connected to an OLED panel? I'm having enormous trouble finding a reputable player which includes DV for a reasonable price but I've come across a few players without DV which seem to be appealing...

Offline JasonK

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 11:27:50 AM »
The xbox one S/X can do DV if that is on the list at all.

Online KenMasters

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 12:51:41 PM »
Ken, based on this, is there any merit in disregarding all 4K/UHD BD players which don't feature Dolby Vision, since the player will be connected to an OLED panel? I'm having enormous trouble finding a reputable player which includes DV for a reasonable price but I've come across a few players without DV which seem to be appealing...

HDR looks great on an OLED due to an OLED's high contrast and per pixel control, but HDR light output values are absolute and OLEDs don't have the light output necessary to render those elements. Dolby Vision optimises the tone mapping to more appropriately display those elements - so ideally you would want a DV capable player for DV discs.

Offline Steve

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 09:22:50 AM »
HDR looks great on an OLED due to an OLED's high contrast and per pixel control, but HDR light output values are absolute and OLEDs don't have the light output necessary to render those elements. Dolby Vision optimises the tone mapping to more appropriately display those elements - so ideally you would want a DV capable player for DV discs.
Thanks, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a DV-enabled player, then. Difficult things to come by!

Please let me know if you happen to stumble upon one.

Offline isaac3201

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 11:10:41 AM »
The xbox one S/X can do DV if that is on the list at all.
Just no DV support on 4k disc though
HT: Marantz - Dynaudio - SVS - UB900 - OLED - AppleTV 4k - QED

Offline JasonK

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 11:41:57 AM »
Thanks, I didnt know that re the Xbox not supporting DV via 4k disks. Interesting as I have a few DV enabled 4k movie disks but my TV was pre HDR 4k TV so never noticed that.