Nvidia Shield Questions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJBGoode

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Good day there folks. I'm looking for a new media player, specifically to play the big 4K files, the 66GB and 100GB boys. I've had a Mede8er for a long time but it just isn't up to snuff anymore for what I need.

I have a Samsung 65" Q7F. It has a box which contains the connections and power separate from the tv, not at the back like most tv's. However, when I connect my external HD drives to play the the files, it struggles to read a lot of the 4K files and has issues decoding Dolby Atmos and a lot of other audio tracks, something about not being able to decode the audio formats. Some of the 4K files work and look amazing but more than half don't. The TV struggles with the 100gb files and the audio as stated previously.

So, I have been looking at the Nvidia Shield Pro (2019). I have read a few threads on here and other places and it seems like the best option.
I do have a couple of questions though...some might sound stupid but I appreciate the feedback. This is why I'm specifically asking folks here in SA who either own a Shield or have experience with it.

1) I intend to purchase it from Amazon.com which works out at around R4700 or so imported. Will I be able to just plug it into the wall socket here in SA or would would it give issues (the old 110 vs 220 volt issue)? Would I need a step up transformer or something like that?

2) Would it be able to read all the Audio formats like DTS-HD, Atmos etc. as my TV simply can't decode them?

3) I will be plugging my external HD drive (4 and 6TB drives) into the shield and the Shield into the TV's hdmi input of the TV (not the amp) as my amp is not 4K rated...it is an older Marantz receiver - SR5006. Would this work well or will there be issues what I am not aware of. Will the HDR work?

I don't know if there are any other issues that I am no aware of so any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

This is the one I am interested in:
https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield-Android-Streaming-Performance/dp/B07YP9FBMM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=nvidia%2Bshield&qid=1600872442&sr=8-1&th=1