Author Topic: Nvidia Shield Questions  (Read 829 times)

Offline JJBGoode

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
Nvidia Shield Questions
« on: September 23, 2020, 05:29:50 PM »
Good day there folks. I'm looking for a new media player, specifically to play the big 4K files, the 66GB and 100GB boys. I've had a Mede8er for a long time but it just isn't up to snuff anymore for what I need.

I have a Samsung 65" Q7F. It has a box which contains the connections and power separate from the tv, not at the back like most tv's. However, when I connect my external HD drives to play the the files, it struggles to read a lot of the 4K files and has issues decoding Dolby Atmos and a lot of other audio tracks, something about not being able to decode the audio formats. Some of the 4K files work and look amazing but more than half don't. The TV struggles with the 100gb files and the audio as stated previously.

So, I have been looking at the Nvidia Shield Pro (2019). I have read a few threads on here and other places and it seems like the best option.
I do have a couple of questions though...some might sound stupid but I appreciate the feedback. This is why I'm specifically asking folks here in SA who either own a Shield or have experience with it.

1) I intend to purchase it from Amazon.com which works out at around R4700 or so imported. Will I be able to just plug it into the wall socket here in SA or would would it give issues (the old 110 vs 220 volt issue)? Would I need a step up transformer or something like that?

2) Would it be able to read all the Audio formats like DTS-HD, Atmos etc. as my TV simply can't decode them?

3) I will be plugging my external HD drive (4 and 6TB drives) into the shield and the Shield into the TV's hdmi input of the TV (not the amp) as my amp is not 4K rated...it is an older Marantz receiver - SR5006. Would this work well or will there be issues what I am not aware of. Will the HDR work?

I don't know if there are any other issues that I am no aware of so any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

This is the one I am interested in:
https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield-Android-Streaming-Performance/dp/B07YP9FBMM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=nvidia%2Bshield&qid=1600872442&sr=8-1&th=1

Online WGS

Re: Nvidia Shield Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 05:57:47 PM »

The adaptor is multi voltage (100-240V) and will work fine, you just need a US flat pin to round pin travel adaptor to plug it into

It will read your large files perfectly, but the audio will be stripped down to remove Atmos or Dts X (Your tv cant decode these formats), its should playback in Dolby digital plus and Dts

Hdr should work fine

Online WGS

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 05:59:18 PM »
A travel adaptor like this,

Offline JJBGoode

• AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 06:40:08 PM »
A travel adaptor like this,

Thanks a bunch WGS, I appreciate the info. The stripped down audio doesn't really bother me all that much. I'm more after the picture quality. If the Shield can play those 100GB files with no issues, I'm good.

So, just to make 100% sure...all that I need is a travel adapter like the one in your pic? I see Takealot has quite a few. Think I'm going to pick up this one:

https://www.takealot.com/travel-adapter-international-to-sa/PLID34147820

Online WGS

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 07:42:50 PM »
Yes, as the Shield adaptor has the US flat pins

Offline Raffs

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 03:24:43 PM »
You can even pick these adaptors up at most hardware stores and a lot cheaper 
Trust your senses !!

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 07:35:11 AM »
3) I will be plugging my external HD drive (4 and 6TB drives) into the shield and the Shield into the TV's hdmi input of the TV (not the amp) as my amp is not 4K rated...it is an older Marantz receiver - SR5006. Would this work well or will there be issues what I am not aware of. Will the HDR work?

Some TVs (I know my LG can) are able to take the incoming audio stream from the shield and send it back through optical out re-encoded as AC3 (DD).

Offline wolfandy

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 08:29:57 AM »
Will I be able to just plug it into the wall socket here in SA or would would it give issues (the old 110 vs 220 volt issue)? Would I need a step up transformer or something like that?

As already mentioned, the Shield can run on both voltages - so no transformer required. Regarding the plug, you can simply replace the cable (mine came with a normal 2-pin plug). The Shield requires a Figure 8 cable, which if you don't have one lying around, you can pick up pretty much anywhere

Some TVs (I know my LG can) are able to take the incoming audio stream from the shield and send it back through optical out re-encoded as AC3 (DD).

If both the TV and the receiver are ARC capable, then you can also send the audio via the existing HDMI connection between them. Just be aware that not all TVs/receivers might support DD/DTS via ARC - so check first. And ARC is only able to transmit up to 5.1 channels. For more than that, you require the newer eARC

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 08:45:34 AM »
If both the TV and the receiver are ARC capable, then you can also send the audio via the existing HDMI connection between them. Just be aware that not all TVs/receivers might support DD/DTS via ARC - so check first. And ARC is only able to transmit up to 5.1 channels. For more than that, you require the newer eARC

Good point, I assumed since the receiver isn't 4K it won't have ARC but it seems that it does indeed support ARC. Same issue I mentioned applies though because ARC can only support compressed 5.1 (and only DD/DTS, not DD+ or DTS HR) so the TV needs to be able to convert the audio stream to AC3/DD. My LG can do this (so I was able to send Netflix 5.1 to my previous receiver re-coded as DD, my older TV that can't do this will only send stereo since it doesn't support DD+, this is for older ARC, with eARC it is fine).

Online WGS

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »
The "tube" 8gig version uses the figure 8 connection, not the Pro

I think the OP wants the Pro version as per the link

Offline handsome

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 06:18:17 PM »
You could get a copy of Handbrake - its free - and convert your files' audio to DD

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Offline Trier001

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »
I am currently using my Nvidia exactly for the reasons you asked as as you described it. Power 220V is no issue just get an adapter as suggested. The Nvidia will play any size 4k file from HDD plugged into it, but i used the Kodi app for Atmos, DTS X and ALL other formats to pass thru to my HT amplifier. HDR works just fine. The only issue you should consider is getting more than one.  :D

Offline JJBGoode

• AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 09:33:11 PM »
Thanks a lot for all the help folks.

I've read all the comments and information and I appreciate it. It answered a lot of my questions.

One of the awesome members here reached out to me privately and invited me to have a look at his Nvidia Shield Pro and his setup and showed me all the ins and outs of what I need to know.

I will definitely be picking one up soon as it ticks all the right boxes for me.

Online TimbaLand

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 10:47:40 PM »
Thanks a lot for all the help folks.

I've read all the comments and information and I appreciate it. It answered a lot of my questions.

One of the awesome members here reached out to me privately and invited me to have a look at his Nvidia Shield Pro and his setup and showed me all the ins and outs of what I need to know.

I will definitely be picking one up soon as it ticks all the right boxes for me.

I can refer you to a local seller if you will go the Nvidia route. It may save you waiting time and the cost is competitive when competed to Amazon
Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, B&W ASW850 and Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers, 685 and DS3, CCM In ceilings| Optoma UHD40|Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver| Nvidia Shield

Offline phasor

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 05:48:57 AM »
Slightly off topic but I think it will help the OP. I've been looking for replacement remotes for the Nvidia Shields I have. As many will know the original remotes apart from the latest versions are rubbish. Anyone on here have any suggestions for good replacement remotes available locally?

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk