Author Topic: The Heads up thread  (Read 1856447 times)

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • :-)
    • Turntable sales Cape Town
Re: The Heads up thread
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »
What is the guy's name... Or better yet, list him under people to avoid ?
I actually feel crap listing his add under this thread   :(
I have found a few good buys in my life and there is nothing more fun to have another person have the same joy when you pass that bargain on later.
I could understand if you desperately need the money..... but R200, take someone's cash then raise the price to R1500 ?
 >:(

Selling, accepting payment and then not delivering is against the law and either theft or fraud or both...

He has now upped his Gumtree price: http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-tv-audio-music-Turntable-W0QQAdIdZ303859169

Looking at his other ad], he is or is associated with Rob Mills: http://www.signsoflife.co.za/gallery2/public/pipes

As far as J.S. goes he is now in breach of contract (even if nothing was signed)... Hopefully J.S has an email paper trail... AFAIK If all else fails, if you file in the small claims court, he will have to travel to PE to defend himself...

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Raffs

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • The Final Frontier
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »
What is the guy's name... Or better yet, list him under people to avoid ?
I actually feel crap listing his add under this thread   :(
I have found a few good buys in my life and there is nothing more fun to have another person have the same joy when you pass that bargain on later.
I could understand if you desperately need the money..... but R200, take someone's cash then raise the price to R1500 ?
 >:(

Francois dont beat yrself up anyone of us would have posted the add...........for one of us to possibly benifit........that's what we good guys do ! ;).............not worth naming !
Trust your senses !!

Offline Raffs

• AVForums Veteran
  • The Final Frontier
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »
Selling, accepting payment and then not delivering is against the law and either theft or fraud or both...

He has now upped his Gumtree price: http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-tv-audio-music-Turntable-W0QQAdIdZ303859169

Looking at his other ad], he is or is associated with Rob Mills: http://www.signsoflife.co.za/gallery2/public/pipes

As far as J.S. goes he is now in breach of contract (even if nothing was signed)... Hopefully J.S has an email paper trail... AFAIK If all else fails, if you file in the small claims court, he will have to travel to PE to defend himself...

If this is the case he is in breach with me , he agreed to sell it to me last night not long after He posted and before JS, i sent him a mail aknowledging our conversation, and apparently after our discussion this morning he tells me he sent me a mail bout deciding to sell to someone else for more money. if anything its does show that he initially agreed to sell to me , is it worth going into this .......??? I've decided to report the add via Gumtree............lets see what heppens
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:27:05 PM by Raffs »
Trust your senses !!

Offline LAV

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »
is it worth going into this .......???
No, as you'll probably end up being the one most stressed and inconvenienced, but be sure to spread the word.
Vaal Triangle (Southern Gauteng)

Offline Raffs

• AVForums Veteran
  • The Final Frontier
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2011, 12:09:13 AM »
No, as you'll probably end up being the one most stressed and inconvenienced, but be sure to spread the word.
Agreed,  he must b feeling k@k, sent me an apology mail, sounds like a case of guilty concience
Trust your senses !!

Offline gifs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran

Offline u235

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • I'm sure I can hear the difference now.........
    • Youngblood Consultants
« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2011, 04:08:06 PM »
Upon the plains bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • :-)
    • Turntable sales Cape Town
« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2011, 07:59:22 AM »
Hey Silver Pioneer fans:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline typo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2011, 01:54:16 PM »
Hey Silver Pioneer fans:

So pretty.  Wish more gear looked like this - it's timeless design.

Offline ---------

• Account Locked
« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2011, 02:07:15 PM »
If this is the case he is in breach with me , he agreed to sell it to me last night not long after He posted and before JS, i sent him a mail aknowledging our conversation, and apparently after our discussion this morning he tells me he sent me a mail bout deciding to sell to someone else for more money. if anything its does show that he initially agreed to sell to me , is it worth going into this .......??? I've decided to report the add via Gumtree............lets see what heppens

Raffs, the seller is definitely in breach of contract. Two issues are pertinent here: (1) a verbal contract is as valid as a written contract in the eyes of the law - the only problems is that the terms of a verbal contract are more difficult to prove; and (2) for a vaild contract to come into existence there has to be an offer (the advert) and an acceptance (your payment). Unfortunately, this is a civil matter which means you would have to settle the dispute in court. LAV's advice is spot on:

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2011, 02:31:02 PM »
So, anyone knows what happened with that Thorens? I only saw the post after the thread was already 3 pages past that point. At that moment, his asking price was R2000 (onco) ;)
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Juggy

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
Raffs, the seller is definitely in breach of contract. Two issues are pertinent here: (1) a verbal contract is as valid as a written contract in the eyes of the law - the only problems is that the terms of a verbal contract are more difficult to prove; and (2) for a vaild contract to come into existence there has to be an offer (the advert) and an acceptance (your payment). Unfortunately, this is a civil matter which means you would have to settle the dispute in court. LAV's advice is spot on:

I would imagine a verbal contract over the phone would be pretty hard to prove and may not hold any water as you can't prove you actually spoke to the right person.

I'm no legal eagle though so may be wrong.

Offline ---------

• Account Locked
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
I would imagine a verbal contract over the phone would be pretty hard to prove and may not hold any water as you can't prove you actually spoke to the right person.

That is correct. However, you could lead circumstantial evidence to prove that you interacted with the respondent. For example, if you had the person's bank details, etc. that would tend to corroborate your version of the events. Remember, the judicial standard in civil proceedings is a balance of probabilities. This means that the judge/magistrate weighs up the two versions of the events and then decides which one is most probably true.

Offline Juggy

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town
« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2011, 03:40:39 PM »
That is correct. However, you could lead circumstantial evidence to prove that you interacted with the respondent. For example, if you had the person's bank details, etc. that would tend to corroborate your version of the events. Remember, the judicial standard in civil proceedings is a balance of probabilities. This means that the judge/magistrate weighs up the two versions of the events and then decides which one is most probably true.

Ah yes, that does make sense.

I say take the dude to the cleaners ;)