Author Topic: WANTED - Creative Labs  (Read 4531 times)

skinnyfat

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline Viagara

• Legendary Member
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Flying High, Digging Low
Re: WANTED - Creative Labs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:59:48 AM »
Skinny, people normally strive to improve their equipment, but you are now taking the opposite route :044:  :044:  :044:  :044:

Think about it from JVC to Yamaha to Ipod to Creative Labs, what is next? Cambridge Audio?  :044:  :044:  :044:  :044:

Jokes aside, this could be a nice toy to have.
Don't take life too seriously, you will not make it out alive.....

(Location Cape Town)

skinnyfat

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 06:12:47 AM »
Abe ====>  :eusa_silenced:

:077:  :077:  :077:

I'm really looking for a relatively cheap improvement to my connexant audio on my laptop which is basic if anything and this creative labs offering was quite a toy when it was released. Remote control too :044:  I can get the new Creative External Audigy 2 NX, USB 2.0 at cost for around R700.00 but hoping to find the extigy

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 06:37:38 PM »
I have the Audigy4 Pro (cost an arm & a leg) and I can tell you it's absolute rubbish. Good for games I'm sure, but for anything else, recording in particular, it's one of the worst cards I've ever worked with. Shop with care.

skinnyfat

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 06:27:40 AM »
Heh Heh, I'm not into recording just yet. My main aim is to better the audio I already have on my laptop as I am using it as my main source for audio at the mo' with sennheiser cans and foobar. Any other recomendations?

Ta

Skinny

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 11:31:53 AM »
Rather try building one of the PCM2902 USB soundcards that are discussed elsewhere on the forum. One chip, one crystal, one regulator, one USB connector and RCA line out (no local power needed) and a few small resistors and capacitors and you're set. The semiconductors are all on sample. It's not going to sound as good as the Extigy admittedly, but better than the on-board soundcard and with much less noise.

Alternatively you can use the same board and use it's S/PDIF digital output to feed any DAC of your choice. That should blow the Extigy away if the DAC is of reasonable quality.

If people are interested I can have a few small double-sided PCB's made, it shouldn't cost much. Total size should be less than 4x4cm.