Author Topic: Watch out for con artists!!!  (Read 354257 times)

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+26)
    • Remedytec
Re: Watch out for con artists!!!
« Reply #1005 on: July 17, 2019, 08:16:01 AM »
This forum has a Trade Count option.  Right under your user name.  People must just learn to use it...  :P

Problem is  that as far as I can gather, it doesn’t show negative trade counts, it only deducts it off the positive count. Eg, if somebody had 5 positive and 4 negative it merely show it as positive 1, unless you click on it to check, which I think in our lazy nature, few people do. Maybe also/rather represent it in a percentage? Like BOB?

Offline Toxxyc

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1006 on: July 17, 2019, 09:31:31 AM »
Problem is  that as far as I can gather, it doesn’t show negative trade counts, it only deducts it off the positive count. Eg, if somebody had 5 positive and 4 negative it merely show it as positive 1, unless you click on it to check, which I think in our lazy nature, few people do. Maybe also/rather represent it in a percentage? Like BOB?

Yeah the iTrader system shows it as a percentage.  For example, I have 116 positive trades on Carbonite, so it displays 116/0/0, meaning 116 positive, 0 neutral, 0 negative, and on the profile it displays 116 (100%).  Could be cool for here.

Online Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • jagasounds at soundcloud
« Reply #1007 on: July 17, 2019, 03:00:49 PM »
Quick look at Google results...seems to suggest that it's possible.  (Sorry about the quoting mess...it's a mess, doesn't show that it's 3 quoted posts before the new post - that's also a feature of this software.) :-s

Editing the required post count for an existing membergroup ...
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=549725.0

Nov 3, 2016 - I have always had just one post-count based membergroup on my forum ... access and pre-moderation until they have their first post approved.
enable/disable post count based groups
30 Sep 2011
Removing post-count groups, issues with forum titles, member ...
17 Feb 2010
Tips and Tricks (index)
28 Aug 2004
Conversions and Membergroups
11 Apr 2017
More results from www.simplemachines.org

Honestly, it's not difficult at all to have different posting "abilities" by number of posts (user group) on most forum software.

Make a 1-3 per day post-cap limit for new users  (which means you don't get 50 posts from one spammer), raise it sharply over 10, and remove all restrictions above 100 posts.

Granted, but as I understand it, this software would need to be upgraded (or changed over, altogether) for that to be possible. I believe they are looking at that.

I'm quite surprised that even the older SMF version that's currently running has no ability to control access by post-count based user groups, it's been a common feature on every forum I've hosted/moderated since the early 2000s.

For example, here's a post on the SMF forums from 2011 discussing working with  post-count based user groups (https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=454334.0). It may not be possible to do a post-count limit, specifically, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible to, say, limit access to posting on a particular sub-forum, which should have similar effect.

Judging by the wiki for version 1.1, it's definitely possible to, say, restrict all members of a certain group from positing in particular forums (i.e., restrict to Meet and Greet) (https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF1.1:Permissions)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 5:04:16 pm by eigen »    

Note: This would have prevented the sht we had a few days ago:
Make a 1-3 per day post-cap limit for new users  (which means you don't get 50 posts from one spammer),

Offline Buggaree

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • MAIN thing is, keep the main thing, the main thing
« Reply #1008 on: July 18, 2019, 10:47:14 AM »
Yeah the iTrader system shows it as a percentage.  For example, I have 116 positive trades on Carbonite, so it displays 116/0/0, meaning 116 positive, 0 neutral, 0 negative, and on the profile it displays 116 (100%).  Could be cool for here.
Thats what I mean. It helps me to gauge the risk in dealing with guys

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” ― Bob Marley

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #1009 on: July 23, 2019, 10:45:09 PM »
Just got a brief and suspicous message from new user "arnol", from Clanwilliam based on forum location, asking me to call one Martin de Klerk about a wanted ad I posted. Happy to withdraw if proven wrong.

Online BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
« Reply #1010 on: July 23, 2019, 11:06:11 PM »
Just got a brief and suspicous message from new user "arnol", from Clanwilliam based on forum location, asking me to call one Martin de Klerk about a wanted ad I posted. Happy to withdraw if proven wrong.

Been here 3 days, no posts whatsoever, trying to get you off forum quickly
100% a scammer
Only difference between this guy and the guy who messaged me is this guy waited 2 days
There is a recent flood of these guys
I'm hearing images, I'm seeing songs that poet has ever painted

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #1011 on: July 24, 2019, 07:03:41 AM »

Thank you for this, I do not believe you are wrong. He was being watched and is now banned.

Guys, please continue to report any suspicious replies by pm to your ads.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Tbot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #1012 on: August 08, 2019, 08:51:10 PM »
Eish.  I never knew about all this nonsense in the world.  I just read through this whole thread :thinking:  I am old school and prefer to deal in person.  Maybe that is the reason for my naive outlok on life.  I have bought from this forum before, only if it was down in CT and  the seller was prepared to meet me.  I tried the wanted section on here also, nobody responded though.... Guess I can't blame you guys.  Anyway, I do enjoy reading the forum more than posting.   :thumbs:

Offline Mushroom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Member
  • "Atomic bomb: the invention to end all inventions"
« Reply #1013 on: September 08, 2019, 08:10:12 AM »
I contacted the individual behind this ad, but got cold feet because no name was supplied and images I received by WhatsApp look to be of a different table, not saying it is/was a scam, I just got cold feet!

Please view this ad:

Marantz 6300 Good condition,
https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-turntables/other/marantz-6300-good-condition/1005772065480912456261909?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: R 5,500

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ebay.gumtree.za
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" - Albert Einstein

Offline Juggy

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town
« Reply #1014 on: September 08, 2019, 10:20:03 AM »
I contacted the individual behind this ad, but got cold feet because no name was supplied and images I received by WhatsApp look to be of a different table, not saying it is/was a scam, I just got cold feet!

Please view this ad:

Marantz 6300 Good condition,
https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-turntables/other/marantz-6300-good-condition/1005772065480912456261909?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: R 5,500

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ebay.gumtree.za

I am pretty sure if it was legit there would be much more information and the descriptions would be more accurate

Online Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • jagasounds at soundcloud
« Reply #1015 on: September 08, 2019, 12:26:03 PM »
[...]  I have bought from this forum before, only if it was down in CT and  the seller was prepared to meet me.  I tried the wanted section on here also, nobody responded though.... Guess I can't blame you guys.  Anyway, I do enjoy reading the forum more than posting.   :thumbs:
@Tbot , Wanted ad/s, you need to keep trying, otherwise limited how many people see it and when.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #1016 on: September 08, 2019, 04:37:35 PM »
Lloyd Brink and his clones have addresses in Clanwilliam and also Port Shepstone, both fake.  At least there is a strong possibility I will recover some money

See:  https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/i-have-been-conned.1045583/
Music is the shorthand of emotion