Audio and Video Talk > Computers & Networking

PC Gamers....? GFX and SSD upgrade?

(1/6) > >>

Enigma_2k4:
Hi all,

It looks like my old werkhorse of a GFX card has died, I'm getting strange patterns accross the screen adn some monitors aren't even recognising the signal at all.

I used to have an 8800 GTX card (above) and want to know what would be a suitable replacement. I am quite confident that anything at all in the GTX range from Nvidia would be better. I am looking to spend 2-3k for it. I quite like the GTX 560 so far. Are the ATI offerings better? If so how much better?

I game often (well used to) in 3D using the anaglyph glasses and would like to do the same, i don't think ATI offers the same functionality does it?

I am also looking at purchasing a 60G SSD for my OS and the odd few games, it it more worthwhile to get the SSD or the SSD hybribds now-a-days? Storage isn't really a worry at all.

dotVIBE:
steer clear of the hybrids, they are not worth the money. SSD's are awesome, but won't necessarily increase your gaming performance. That said, i think a 60GB SSD system drive is a MUST.

in your price bracket, the AMD 6950 and Nvidia GTX 560 is much of a muchness. read some reviews.

Scrat:
The 560 would do you extremely well, and fits your price range.

As for the HDD, the hybrids aren't really worth it, go pure SSD. The hybrids try to do magic by only having something like 4GB solid, and leaving I/O to magic algorithm tricks. Sure its faster, but not quite hitting the pure SSD mark

Enigma_2k4:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Upgrade time! Wohoooooo

RS4:

--- Quote from: Enigma_2k4 on April 14, 2011, 08:18:10 PM ---Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Upgrade time! Wohoooooo

--- End quote ---

I have a ATI 5850, very happy with this card and should also suit your budget.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version