Author Topic: Which Furman Power Conditioner/Filter?  (Read 861 times)

Online Reshen

Re: Which Furman Power Conditioner/Filter?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 12:58:52 AM »
Also have a look at double conversion online ups's. I use APC's, but they have crazy price tags now. Rolin had a more affordable option not too long ago. Specs were great. Just fit a silent fan

That's a great idea. And you get a bit of battery backup. I actually saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEjGmUbNlCc that spoke about the same idea.

Given the premium on the AC210, the UPS may be in the game :thinking:

Online Ninja_Theory

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 12:59:20 AM »
Pity that. I almost got excited  :facepalm:
At that price it would be a no brainer! :rubhands:
Last known location: Somewhere in the audio enthusiast rabbit hole... not sure I'll find my way out.

Online Wolvebain

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 01:01:55 AM »
Pity that. I almost got excited  :facepalm:
Dude.. be careful of getting something cos it's cheap  :stop:
Cheap stuff, that we may not need or use correctly is what Black Friday is about  :thumbs: :EGrin:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 01:10:40 AM by Wolvebain »
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Online Reshen

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 01:07:42 AM »
LoLs.. @Ninja_Theory none as passionate as the converted  ;D

@Reshen , have a look at this link for an intro into Electrical Noise Attenuation: https://www.controlledpwr.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Electrical-Noise-Attenuation-05.pdf
From the looks of the numbers, the AC210 (A E I assume) has better noise electrical noise suppression and wider freq filtering that the M10XE
And from the previously explained use case, we understand why.

With than in mind and from your requirements, the AC210 would be a more suitable choice than the M10XE.
It also seems that you would prob benefit from a proper PDU, as you have multiple (couple) DACs and Amps.. and a Macbook (sorry bud, my condolences... perhaps look at upgrading to a PC as well :point: )
The AC210 only has 2 power output sockets, so you'd prob use a multiplug or multi-headed-cable to power all the gear and Macbook.
This can introduce noise again, even though the power-conditioner cleans the power from the wall-socket.  This is because there could be 'noise' be generated from one or more items of gear.  And that noise can effect all the other gear on the line.
A decent PDU helps prevent this.

BUT!!!!  I would suggest also looking at a Online, Double-Conversion UPS, instead of an entry-level, 2 output socket power-conditioner.
The good ones essentially cover what a power conditioner does, and more: they essentially regenerate the power (AC to DC to Battery to DC to AC)
Though they can be pretty expensive, there are those good ones in the same price range as the Furman.

Perhaps look at the Eaton 9E 1000VA Online Double Conversion UPS:
http://powerquality.eaton.com/9E1000I.aspx

It has 4 output sockets as well.  So there may not be a need to get a too big PDU or a PDU at all.

Perhaps you can list the number of items / gear you wish to run of the Online, Double-Conversion UPS or Power conditioner, the make/model-number to see what the overall load would be, etc. and if you would require a PDU, etc.

Hope that helps give you some clarity... (?)

Regardless of what people say, always ask and check like you have, as there is too much hype and sheeple peddling the hype.  :BWAHAHAH:
Remember, there is no silver-bullet; One device/component won't revolutionize you system or experience. However, a few items together (doesn't have to be TOTL either), used in the right place/setup correctly, can bring great benefits.

Awesome! Thanks for the comprehensive reply @Wolvebain. Very pragmatic viewpoints. For sure, the AC210 seems like the better device for an audiophile application.  I'm really warming to this idea of the UPS. The Eaton you suggested is not too bad, given that you also get the extra functionality of a bit of battery operation.

Great point about the PDU. I guess its possible that a hacked Ellies multiplug could undue all the good work of the filter.

BTW, the Mac works great with Audirvana. It's a crime, but all the thing does is serve music.

Online Reshen

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 01:10:08 AM »
Dude.. be careful of getting something cos it's cheap  :stop:
Cheap stuff, that we may not need or use correctly is what Black Friday is anout  :thumbs: :EGrin:

Oh yeah! Saving for some redundant but desperately "needed" gear.

Online Dhiveshan

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 08:27:29 AM »
Hi Reshen. Iíve tried the furman. It does what it says on the box. Comes up every now and then for around R3k. The only limitation is that it only has two outputs. How many components are you planning on using with it? Also Iím uncertain if thereís any benefit to using an smps with a conditioner?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 11:01:21 AM »
I have a PDU attached to the Furman

Actually, the whole supply consists of:

A 2,5mm flat twin and earth from the DB to one 15A socket
2m of LessLoss mains cable to the Furman
A 6 socket PDU is attached to the output of the Furman

What this lot did was to remove the slight whine or whistle from the mains, and viewed on an oscilloscope, no spiky bits that signify interference

All those plastic mains extenders are truly dreadful.  Inside are thin strips of brassed steel, providing a contact surface less than 1mm wide

Overload it a bit, or be a bit rough plugging appliances in and out, and "poof" as per this picture

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Online Reshen

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 12:14:38 PM »
Hi Reshen. Iíve tried the furman. It does what it says on the box. Comes up every now and then for around R3k. The only limitation is that it only has two outputs. How many components are you planning on using with it? Also Iím uncertain if thereís any benefit to using an smps with a conditioner?

Thanks for the input Dhiv. Good.question about the type of power supply. To be honest I'll have to go research that subtlety.

Online Reshen

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »
I have a PDU attached to the Furman

Actually, the whole supply consists of:

A 2,5mm flat twin and earth from the DB to one 15A socket
2m of LessLoss mains cable to the Furman
A 6 socket PDU is attached to the output of the Furman

What this lot did was to remove the slight whine or whistle from the mains, and viewed on an oscilloscope, no spiky bits that signify interference

All those plastic mains extenders are truly dreadful.  Inside are thin strips of brassed steel, providing a contact surface less than 1mm wide

Overload it a bit, or be a bit rough plugging appliances in and out, and "poof" as per this picture

Yeah. I've had several burn out on me. Especially in winter when family members like to plug in heaters!

What brand of PDU are you using? I will definitely get one of those.

Online Ninja_Theory

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2020, 12:03:39 AM »
My Furman powers my R28 and my Little Dot 3.  So I'm out of conditioner power outlets for now. I was wondering however, is there benefit to powering my gaming monitor via the Furman as well? (It's a higher end 1440p 144hz monitor).
Last known location: Somewhere in the audio enthusiast rabbit hole... not sure I'll find my way out.

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2020, 08:16:55 AM »
My Furman powers my R28 and my Little Dot 3.  So I'm out of conditioner power outlets for now. I was wondering however, is there benefit to powering my gaming monitor via the Furman as well? (It's a higher end 1440p 144hz monitor).

I have used one of these cables in the past when needing to power 3 devices:

Furman can handle up to 10A total so a couple of headamps and a DAC are no problem.
I cannot recall where I got it though... :???:

PS: might have been Communica or Linqage
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:19:17 AM by capetownwatches »

Online Ninja_Theory

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2020, 12:00:24 AM »
I have used one of these cables in the past when needing to power 3 devices:

Furman can handle up to 10A total so a couple of headamps and a DAC are no problem.
I cannot recall where I got it though... :???:

PS: might have been Communica or Linqage
Good thinking.. Any downsides to adding the extra device using this cable?

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 09:28:30 AM »
So long as the combined draw does not exceed 10A there is no problem connecting more than 2 devices via a split cable.

Headphone amps and DACs typically do not draw much current, usually well under 1A.
These are not power amps we are talking about!

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2020, 12:04:39 PM »
Its a PDU I got at Scoop.  There are longer ones

(Dealer) price is now R475 + VAT

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline kp36

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2020, 08:11:31 PM »
Also been using the Furman AC210 and don't have any complaints besides the fact the that you are limited at 10A