blon bl03 chi fi iems

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron g

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
so i recently borrowed a set of these to take a listen to.

i have seen a lot of really good reviews, & know a couple of people with them who are really very impressed, so was kind of keen to take a listen. not quite so keen to try & communicate my impressions (something i am not very good at - when i start using all the old clich?s i find myself really irritating...)

most reviews say that an aftermarket cable & tips are required. these came with an aftermarket cable, having a 4.4mm pentaconn connector, & i sifted through my surprisingly large collection of tips to find a pair that work for me.

like all iems the tips are super critical, & it is simply amazing how much difference in sound they make. i settled on a set of silicone tips - no idea where they actually originated from.

source for listening was a lotoow paw gold touch. around $3000 of dap for $27 of iems.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: (but they do have an aftermarket cable so it should be fair.)

the packaging with it's chi fi english warmed me to them straight away. i may well buy a pair just for the packaging:

73b9c4_e16ae2eb15504385819af4de8ee0a430~mv2.webp

i popped them in & took a listen to a couple of tracks. i don't really listen to new equipment on reference tracks, more tracks that i am familiar with:

eilen jewell - boundary county, loreena mckennit - the mummer's dance; lucy kaplansky - the swimming song; emmylou harris - boulder to birmingham; vienna teng - city hall & homecoming, & a few others.

i honestly did not expect what i heard.

full sound, bass a little overstated for my taste, but not overly flabby, & retaining a decent amount of crispness & control. mids a little recessed for my taste, but not overly so, & treble a little thin & low on definition for my taste.

decent imaging, even if the instrument separation was lacking, & surprisingly sensitive to quiet, background, transient sounds. there was a bit of a loss of definition & control, but not overly so.

i think that with a bit of patience & some eq tweaking, one would be able to get a surprisingly good sound profile from a pair of these iems.

the sound of these is, to me, very much analogous to the edifier lunar eclipse sound in the speaker world.

these would never be a replacement for a good pair of iems. but they are not meant to be. they will however knock the socks off any number of mid range iems from mainstream companies such as sennheiser, phillips, bose, etc. which i have heard, and will do so at a fraction of the cost.

they will also give a hint of what the iem listening experience can be like, and do so at a price point that makes it extremely easy for anyone interested to dip their toes in.

tonight i will take a listen with the r2r2000 as source. very intrigued to hear that pairing.

Latest posts