Author Topic: Tidal connect playback via PS3?  (Read 221 times)

Offline jvr

Tidal connect playback via PS3?
« on: September 17, 2020, 12:26:43 PM »
Will Tidal connect detect and play back music from its Android app via a PS3? If not, is there a way to use Plex to achieve this? I know it works with Spotify, but then both the Android and PS3 have the Spotify apps.
Lend me your ears

Offline gavinbirss

Re: Tidal connect playback via PS3?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 01:47:49 PM »
TIDAL connect seems to be hardware/vendor limited, the Windows Desktop Application still seems to be the "best" feature capable application.

Audionirvana on Windows seems to close as there is now a Windows version.

You may be able to use PS3 web browser but may be limited to HIFI or high quality.

Offline jvr

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 02:08:06 PM »
You may be able to use PS3 web browser but may be limited to HIFI or high quality.
Thank you for your comments. I was wondering about this last option and whether that could work. I don't mind being limited to high quality, that was part of my thinking.. to use the PS3 as an interim solution to get a Tidal feed via my DAC.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:11:11 PM by jvr »
Lend me your ears

Offline johan.pretorius

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 02:11:50 PM »
TIDAL connect seems to be hardware/vendor limited, the Windows Desktop Application still seems to be the "best" feature capable application.

The macOS desktop version should be just as good.
There is no better idle time than Thorens time.

Offline jvr

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 12:33:00 PM »
This does not seem to work. I don't think it is compatible with the old PS3 browser. I've seen some claims about installing new browsers, but not sure if I should go down that road. Meh..and Plex with Tidal seems to only apply to PS4. Stuck.
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 08:22:19 PM »
I am obviously a bit of a newbie on streaming and casting and all that.. Tbh I did not have a proper wifi network until the beginning of this month, so..

Anyway, as I have continued to dig into options to get a hi-fi Tidal stream into my sound set-up, I came across a simple recommended app called BubbleUPnP. Once installed it gave me the option to stream from Tidal, I followed instructions, registered for Tidal hi-fi, put together a first generic playlist and was then able to play/stream it with my Android. The PS3 picked it up, but won't convey it. Luckily the app detected my smart Samsung TV as an option (take note some older smart Samsung sets like mine don't have Tidal) and once activated, I was able to play Tidal hi-fi quality via my Android app, via my Samsung smart TV through my AVR with optical out. Big eureka moment.. because it immediately became obvious that it beats Spotify handsdown on quality..

Not sure why the PS3 won't play it though. Oh wait, maybe it can't play FLAC.

So for now I am sorted and quite happy as I could also connect same optical out from the TV to DAC. Not ideal, but for now..
Lend me your ears