Author Topic: Audyssey vs YPAO vs AccuEQ  (Read 475 times)

Offline Timber_MG

Re: Audyssey vs YPAO vs AccuEQ
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »
You can somewhat EQ modes alright, its the mid range and HF where one needs to EQ the speaker and preference only.

Online TimbaLand

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 08:49:26 AM »
my other :2c: ditch the 3.1 run 2.1
if your speakers are placed correctly  you wont need a center
you wont need room correction either

If the room has more than 1 seat I would recommend a centre anytime. I have always had a centre speaker and also been the one that seats in the money seat and I realised the importance of the centre speaker recently when I tried to try different seats in the room. For the money seat you can get away without a centre but for side seats where the balance between left and right is not equal, the dialogue may move from the centre of the speaker towards the speaker closest to you. What I got to appreciate was that the centre speaker centralizes the dialogue regardless of where you seat.

Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, B&W ASW850 and Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers, 685 and 686 Surrounds, CCM In ceilings| Optoma UHD40|Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver| Nvidia Shield

Offline kinosfronimos

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I've found music to be the therapy of choice
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2020, 08:43:22 AM »
Reading between the lines, it sounds like room correction is hit & miss, unless you deep dive into higher end versions with knowledgeable technical adjustments...

So while my 15yo AVR currently does 90% of what I need (aided by a TV box for BT, streaming etc), and I have nothing newer to compare it to sound-quality-wise, I'm struggling to find a concrete reason to upgrade.

It had felt like the next smart logical step was to upgrade my AVR - because it would provide most gains in the chain. Now it just feels like upgrade itch, and I don't respond well to manipulation by consumerism.

What am I ACTUALLY missing out on (if not room correction) if I don't upgrade?

Sent from my MI CC 9 using Tapatalk

Monitor Audio Speakers: BR6's, BX-FX's, RX-C; ASW100 Cambridge Audio: Asure 540R V3 & 540D V2; Samsung LED: 46EH5300; Xonar U3 DAC; Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear I & Sony WH-1000M3 Headphones; Denon DM41 mini-Hi-Fi

Online Vince MacMahon

Audyssey vs YPAO vs AccuEQ
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:41 AM »
It works, for HT in particular.

For music, Pure Direct mode works better for most folks which turns off Audyssey. 

That being said (that it works), it is highly recommended that one spends more time “fixing” the room acoustics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:01:52 AM by Vince MacMahon »
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 12:16:20 PM »
Reading between the lines, it sounds like room correction is hit & miss, unless you deep dive into higher end versions with knowledgeable technical adjustments...

Probably the most concise summary of automatic room correction I have encountered.

Room correction done right is imho worth while for music playback as well, but there is a definite trade-off in strength of correction between single position and multiple position response. Also really good loudspeakers don't benefit as much from correction above the schroeder frequency other than preference EQ.

Offline kinosfronimos

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I've found music to be the therapy of choice
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 10:28:00 AM »
It works, for HT in particular.

For music, Pure Direct mode works better for most folks which turns off Audyssey. 

That being said (that it works), it is highly recommended that one spends more time “fixing” the room acoustics.

Is it enough reason to upgrade my HT though...?
Monitor Audio Speakers: BR6's, BX-FX's, RX-C; ASW100 Cambridge Audio: Asure 540R V3 & 540D V2; Samsung LED: 46EH5300; Xonar U3 DAC; Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear I & Sony WH-1000M3 Headphones; Denon DM41 mini-Hi-Fi

Online Vince MacMahon

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »
If you don’t need new audio formats and features.
NO

If interested in new features (4K or 8K capability, Airplay 2, ATMOS, Better room correction, etc, etc.).
YES

Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest