Author Topic: What size battery to power my HiFi ?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+158)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
Re: What size battery to power my HiFi ?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2020, 08:09:10 AM »
Gerlach's installation puts mine to shame

First thing it is all neatly laid out with cable-trays, all cables neatly dressed and the batteries in steel cabinets in what looks like his garage.  Then he has remote access to the data generated by the charge controller

I have space constraints since my DB is in the room under the stairs and this space is already shared with 2 alarm panels, the geyser controller and irrigation controller, outside chairs and tables and junk

The larger white box under the main DB is a separate DB for the inverter, with its own earth-leakage, fuses.  Under this is the changeover switch.  Then there are transformers for the alarm, irrigation and low-voltage lights on the stairs.  Top left is a 12 volt to 5 volt converter for the 5 volt devices (network switch, IP phone adaptor, display adaptor for the CCTV).

Too many gadgets perhaps?

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+58)
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 10:59:44 AM »
Cool setup Chris. Function over form.
One can never have too many gadgets.
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”  Alan Watts

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 03:30:23 PM »
@Curlycat  Here some photos of the BlueNova units inside. They use Winston prismatic cells ( LiFeYPO4 ). Before the moved over to there own in house bms they used the UK brand 123Smart Bms.

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2020, 03:58:01 PM »

Too many gadgets perhaps?

Hahahahah!! never!! You can always add more.  ;D I added a Monitor system on the Mppt's so that I can check the max amps and watts my array is making and consumption, and a Long 2 meter LED strip to give light. So far I nearly made 3 MW of power in the 11 months the system is running.  Jip, system is standing in the garage, but i need to decommission next year close to June/July. We bought a bigger house and not leaving the system with my house while renting it out.

The max output my 2.9kw array can make on a cold sunny day.

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+58)
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2020, 12:02:52 PM »
Thank you @Gerlach those pictures are great. Much more circuitry inside than I thought it would have. Makes my small system look like Mikey Mouse. I am using a Daly BMS with 4 Lifepo cells for a small 12V system with an inverter charger on a plankie supplying the essentials such as TV, PC, fibre, router, sound and a couple of lights.

Here is a picture of my setup. I have added a fuse since the pic was taken. I want to build a box with proper terminals including a DC breaker. Just a pity those DC breakers are expensive. The fuse will do for now at least.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:06:33 PM by Curlycat »
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”  Alan Watts

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2020, 04:39:42 PM »
@Curlycat Looking good. Small an practical. I had the opportunity with a Invite to Solar MD in Cape Town. Massive setup and really nice to see what they doing. There new batteries don't use bolts, the get laser welded.