Author Topic: What size battery to power my HiFi ?  (Read 537 times)

Offline Wolla

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: What size battery to power my HiFi ?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2020, 04:10:24 PM »
Dead quiet fan at my watching levels

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Interesting. I have 2 x Ellies trolley UPS units, one is a 12V (single battery) and the other is 24V (dual battery) and they both make lots of fan noise during load shedding and during the recharging straight after load shedding has stopped.

They may have improved on the fan design a bit, since mine is now a few years old already.

Offline Bernard

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Stereo .... what stereo ?
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »
Bernard, you know I also like the Rotel you have there  :thumbs:

if you do not want to spend a lot of money, you can purchase a small stereo chip-amp which will run happily from a 5V power bank and run for days on a single charge. It should cost no more than a few hundred Rands if you already own a 5V power bank. Once load shedding is shelved, you can always just remove the small chip-amp again.

You will just have to make a plan with a source.

I’m using a small ZAR65 chip-amp permanently now and drive my 4 Ohm Piega full rangers, so I can assure you that it sounds good enough to me and could work just fine for lots of other music enthusiasts.
Hi Wolla, yeah....I have a love affair with that amp. I looked for chip amps and came up with lots of "LMxxxxx" stuff. Do you have a photo or a link for yours ? .... and the price ? Could it drive the B&W 330s ? I do have a pair of Mission bookshelves in the roof as well, which could be an option.

I do have a 5v transformer for the Squeezebox which, I think ,Rudi made for us guys a few years ago. I'd have to check with him if it"s sufficient for the SB and the chip amp. Otherwise another12v to 5v transformer shouldn't be a train smash.

Sent from my telephone.

Offline Wolla

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 05:15:06 PM »
Hi Wolla, yeah....I have a love affair with that amp. I looked for chip amps and came up with lots of "LMxxxxx" stuff. Do you have a photo or a link for yours ? .... and the price ? Could it drive the B&W 330s ? I do have a pair of Mission bookshelves in the roof as well, which could be an option.

I do have a 5v transformer for the Squeezebox which, I think ,Rudi made for us guys a few years ago. I'd have to check with him if it"s sufficient for the SB and the chip amp. Otherwise another12v to 5v transformer shouldn't be a train smash.

Sent from my telephone.
Cool, search for TPA3116 or TPA3116D2. If the SB can run off 5V all the better.

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »

Sent from my telephone.

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 07:01:50 PM »
Wolla, looks like I may need 2x12v batteries  if I want to drive the little Mission 730s ??? Checked their specs and they need 15-75w amps. The price for amp is lekker though. But I don't think I'll make 2 batteries. Unless I get 2x50Ah ones ?

Sent from my telephone.

Offline Wolla

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
That is basically the exact one that I have. Believe me when I tell you that even a 5V power-bank will power it well enough for normal listening levels on all of your speakers. I’ve even used it for the Maggies I recently had.

I did quite an extensive thread on battery powered ‘HiFi’, however all the pics I added to the thread vanished when the photo hosting site closed down. It is here if you want to have a look: http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,56233.0.html

Music needs very little ‘power Watts’ and this little TPA3116 barely draws 50mA most of the time off a 5V power bank.

You can scale up to higher Voltage power supplies up to 24V max, so you have options. However, very few people will actually need anything more than a 5V Power Bank.

I use a 18V drill battery to power a similar 2.1 TPA3116D2 (2 chips) amp in my DIY OB Boombox for example. I already have plenty of the drill batteries, so that made perfect sense in my use case. Here is a short YouTube video demonstrating that setup and shows the battery setup I’m using too: https://youtu.be/KDp0prrZMW8
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 08:01:22 PM by Wolla »

Offline Bernard

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2020, 09:24:04 PM »
That's awesome to hear Wolla. Going to work on that amp. I have a charger and deep cycle battery left over. My phone is already coming off another battery via a cigarette lighter plug. The cable distance between phone and SBT is about 3m. I'm halfway through your other post. It's loooong.
I see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my telephone.

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2020, 10:26:29 PM »
Lithium scares the crap out of me.
Saw a house and a car along with the offending golf cart burn down from a lithium battery where it appears the over charge protection circuitry did not do its job (or so I was told)
It happend as we were leaving peaconwood estate.
Bits of battery were shooting out of the flames.

Yes, I'm aware that my cellphones, tablets etc have lito batteries, but that I Do not have a choice in as there are no alternatives
I'm hearing images, I'm seeing songs that poet has ever painted

Online Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2020, 06:43:00 AM »
Lithium scares the crap out of me.
Saw a house and a car along with the offending golf cart burn down from a lithium battery where it appears the over charge protection circuitry did not do its job (or so I was told)
It happend as we were leaving peaconwood estate.
Bits of battery were shooting out of the flames.

Yes, I'm aware that my cellphones, tablets etc have lito batteries, but that I Do not have a choice in as there are no alternatives
The 18650 cells are super dangerous. They the ones you need to be careful for. Friend of mine Garage burned down 4 weeks ago. He had one of that small boost jumper sets on charge in his garage. FJ, X5 and GSX burned out in the garage. Never leave that cells charging ow there own. I know guys are buying old fire safes to put there 18650 chargers in there so if it explodes it can do it in there. This cells like to go in thermal runaway.

Prismatic lifepo4 cells is way safer.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Online Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2020, 08:14:51 AM »
Sorry to hear about your current situation. Don't lose hope.

In short the LifePo4 battery lasts many cycles - usually upwards of 2000 cycles. So you don't have to replace them as often as lead acid. They are safer than lead acid. They charge much faster than lead acid. Their usable range is more than lead acid, in other words for example a 100Ah Lifepo can compare to a 200Ah lead acid actual use - (just a hypothetical example, I did not do the sums here)

In other words apart from the price, better in all other aspects compared to lead acid.

To add to what Curlycat said, they charge way faster then lead acid, they last longer to. They can do close to 3500 plus cycles, depend how deep you discharge them. For the type of money you need to spend for lead acid replace them every 2 to 3 yeards "depend how deep you cycle them" and and what volts you running them. Lithium/Lifepo4 batteries can go for 10 to 15 years and longer and way safer. There some videos online where they do testing on Prismatic cells by shooting it, burning it, hitting it and more other stuff.

Here is a nice converter that you can work out. https://www.inchcalculator.com/ah-to-kwh-calculator/

I'm running 95% off-grid at my house with 8kw inverter with 14kwh Lifepo4 storage and 2.9kw solar. On a good sunny day it generates close to 3.5kw my pv Array. I got a solar geyser but it got the element interlock with my inverter and grid. So on a good sunny day I dump my extra solar to the geyser to boost it warmer in the winter. I can control all this stuff via my phone. I'm using a Shelly EM in my DB setup with CT clamps so I can check my power use in my house, control my geyser and checking temps.

http://

I went the DIY root with Lifepo4 setup because it was way cheap. Pylontech 3.5kwh units starts at R20 000 and you can only use 3.2kwh and max discharge is 75Amps for a few seconds. You need to add more to get better performance out of them and then it get expensive. There more other brand to and local brands to. It cost met about R18500 per unit to build it with all the stuff. I got a smart BMS inside that i can check all the info via my phone or the screen and adjust settings on it. The hardest that I have pulled out of my 2 units was 138amps combine. Did a bit of testing.

With our new born in the house and a fix bathing time and load-shedding Saturday and cold weather, I just warmed up the geyser with the storage power.  ;D sorted.

I'm busy adding more stuff on the solar MPPT side for precise monitoring. So far for the 9 months I generate just over 2.5mw green energy for my house and i'm planning to add more panels and a 3de lifepo4 bank.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:18:32 AM by Gerlach »
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)