Open Chat > Alternative Power

What size battery to power my HiFi ?

(1/8) > >>

Bernard:
Rotel 100W integrated amp.
Logitech Squeezebox.
B&W DM 330 floor standers.

I have a big invertor (in the roof) which was connected to 4 deep cycle batteries in 2008 when Eskom first started. Batteries were replaced a couple of times.

Two separate explosions under my desk, so I put the invertor in the roof and the batteries outside. Never to be used again.

How many batteries would I need for music for 2 hours, say ?

Would be awesome if it's only a battery or two required.

Sent from my telephone.

Curlycat:
What voltage is your inverter?

My setup, a PC, 50" LED TV, valve-pre, amp, router, fibre-box & a CFL light draws about 300W

I use a 120Ah LifePO4 battery which gives me about 1440 Watt hours to use on a 12V system
If I drain my battery completely (not a good idea ) I should be able to get 4.8 hours of use.

You can calculate your power requirements the same.

Bernard:
It's a 12 volt inverter. It's been packed away for a few years but can handle the HFi and PC and printers, lights etc. That is what it was used for originally.

I stil have a biggish 36v invertor but when a battery exploded I packed it away as well due to lack of funds.

I'm even happy to swap it out for a 12v inverter. Can't see our situation changing to allow for multiple batteries.

Sent from my telephone.

Bernard:

--- Quote from: Curlycat on September 06, 2020, 11:52:07 AM ---What voltage is your inverter?

My setup, a PC, 50" LED TV, valve-pre, amp, router, fibre-box & a CFL light draws about 300W

I use a 120Ah LifePO4 battery which gives me about 1440 Watt hours to use on a 12V system
If I drain my battery completely (not a good idea ) I should be able to get 4.8 hours of use.

You can calculate your power requirements the same.

--- End quote ---
What is the cost, more or less, on that type of battery ? That sounds like just what I need.

Sent from my telephone.

Curlycat:
I purchased my cells loose and added a BMS - you need a Battery Management System for LifePo4 (Lithium Ion Phosphate) It was about R6.5K.

I purchased mine here: (sold out currently but sure there is a shipment on the way)
https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/collections/frontpage/products/3-2v-120ah-lithium-ion-phosphate-battery-cell?variant=31982240825434

And here you can read more about LifePo4 tech and safety:
https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/pages/about-lifepo4

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version