Open Chat > Alternative Power

Garage Door Motors Power Backup using UPS

(1/2) > >>

KMX1:
I have two Eazylift Roller Type Garage Door motors.  They use a 24v backup battery each that costs around R500 per battery.  I have a spare 1000VA  Mecer UPS that I can use to power both motors to use it occasionally during a power failure.  I tested the powerdraw with my Watt Meter  and both motors together use about 9W in standby mode and 75W  to lower / 100W to lift a door.  There is no noticeable spike when the motor starts to roll.  I have only one question - Is this a good or bad idea?

chrisc:
Yes it will work but not the way I would manage it.  Seeing you already have a working UPS, you may as well use it.  You might consider a gel-type battery

Lead-acid batteries last longer if discharged to about 25% now and then.

Even the dealer cost of a 24 volt 3.5 a/h battery is approaching R430, so they will only get more expensive.

Heinrich:
change the batteries to 2 x 7aH in series, charger should be able to handle it.
been using 3 gemini garage motors like that for 12 years now.

Gerlach:

--- Quote from: chrisc on September 03, 2020, 09:50:36 PM ---Yes it will work but not the way I would manage it.  Seeing you already have a working UPS, you may as well use it.  You might consider a gel-type battery

Lead-acid batteries last longer if discharged to about 25% now and then.

Even the dealer cost of a 24 volt 3.5 a/h battery is approaching R430, so they will only get more expensive.

--- End quote ---

I'm with Chris on this on. You already got the UPS, just get a nice Carbon or Gel battery and use it like this. There is some other options but it's going be expensive.

KMX1:
Thank you very much for the advice.  Can you recommend a place to buy Gel batteries?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version