Author Topic: How To: FreeNAS 7.2  (Read 15354 times)

Offline ara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
How To: FreeNAS 7.2
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:46:29 PM »
This will be the start of the FreeNAS post on how to install it, tweak it and use futures like Squeezebox Server, rSync and different drive configurations. Please for now refrain from posting in this thread as I would like to keep the posts together. So what are we going to need during this tutorial are the following:

1x Working computer with a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive
1x Blank CD/DVD/Bur-Ray disc
1x 2GB (minimum) USB Flash Drive (recommended) but you can also use an HDD/SSD

You need to download a FreeNAS 7 ISO from http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/ You can either download a Nightly Build or a Stable Build. DON'T download the embeded version as I won't be covering that. You can either download the AMD64 or the i386.

IMPORTANT: If you are going to use Squeezebox server you must download the i386 version.

Once you have download your FreeNAS of choice you must burn the ISO that you downloaded to disc using either Windows 7 Built in ISO Burner http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-from-an-ISO-file or you can use something like ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/.

For people that want to use Squeezebox they will need to download the files listed here http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=1026. In total you want to download three files (these files will later be copied to your FreeNAS installation):

Optional Usefull Software to Download

People that are going to use Western Digital Green drives in a RAID I would suggest that you do the following:
  • Install the HP Disk Storage Format Tool
  • Extract the Windows 98 files to a location on your hard drive
  • Insert your USB Flash Drive into one of the USB prots on your computer
  • Run the HP Disk Storage Format Tool where you will select your Device, FAT32 as the file system, select Create a DOS startup disk and select the location of your files (where you extracted the files above) For a Quick Format select the correct option.

• Click the Start button to begin the process
  • Copy the wdidle3 file onto your USB flash disk

You now have a bootable USB flash drive. The next step is to disconnect all hard drives (except 1), CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive from a computer and boot to the USB flash drive. Once the comptuer booted with the USB flash drive you are now ready to set the head parking of the drives to disabled. You will first run wdidle3 to see whether it recognise the current drive and the time it is set to. There after you will run wdidle3 /D to disable this head parking.

IMPORTANT: Only recommended if your are going to do any form of RAID.

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
Re: How To: FreeNAS 7.2 - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:01:49 AM »
This will be the install of FreeNAS.

IMPORTANT:

IF you want to isntall FreeNAS on the USB Flash Drive you used for setting the WD Green Drives must first format the USB Flash Drive to NTFS as FreeNAS don't like FAT32. So Open the HP Disk Storage Format Tool and select NTFS and Quick Format

Now that we are ready, plug the USB Flash Drive/HDD/SSD into the computer that we are going to make a FreeNAS box. Insert the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray in the drive and make sure that you can boot from it. Start the computer. FreeNAS will boot from the drive and load into a full "install" of FreeNAS that you can use without install but none of your settings will be persisted in case of a power failure. Once FreeNAS has completed the boot process you will see the following screen:

Here you would select option 9 Install/Upgrade to hard drive/USB flash disk. This will start the installation process. The first screen that is:

Here you have a choice whether you want to install the Embedded, Full Version and some upgrade options. I normally install the option selected as it makes it easier to install additional packages at a later stage.

The next screen just gives you a summary of what you are going to install and a list of the partitions that it is going to create:

Once you select Ok to continue you will see the screen where you need to select the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive from which you want to install FreeNAS. Typically you will have only one drive connected so you should be able to only click Ok

The next screen will give you the option to sellect to which drive you want to install. Here you will select either the HDD or USB Flash Disk or whatever supported media you decide to install. In my case I selected the Kingston DataTraveler (off topic this G3 USB drives is not nicely supported by FreeNAS so try and rather use a different USB Flash Drive).

On the next screen you can specify the size of the partition. Because I have a 4GB flash drive I selected 1024MB.

You will now be asked on whether you want to use a SWAP partion. Although you may choose not to enable it is still good to create the partion at this stage so select Yes.

Next you will specify the SWAP partition size. I selected 2048 because I do have a 4GB flash drive. The remained will be configured as a DATA partition that you will not be using unless you are installing on a HDD.

AT this point FreeNAS will be installed onto the device you have selected.

IMPORTANT

If you have say a 2GB flash drive you can't select 1024 and 1024 for the OS and SWAP partition as a 2GB drive is in essence only around 1,800MB so you will exceed the size.

After the installation has completed you must take down the information on the following screen.

It will tell you where the SWAP parition is on the device you installed. For users that installed on the HDD you must also take down the instructions on how to add the HDD to use the remaining space as a DATA partition. I will not be covering this.

Once you pressed ENTER you will be returned to the installation option screen.

Select Exit to return to the original boot menu.

FreeNAS is now installed and you can reboot the machine by selecting 7. Remember to take out the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive so that the machine does not boot to it again

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
Re: How To: FreeNAS 7.2 - Part 3
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:22:45 AM »
You have now completed the install of FreeNAS 7.2 and have booted to you new install. You will see this screen that you should be familiar with by now. IF you see an option 9 on the menu you forgot to take out the CD as was still booting to it

The first thing you must do is get the FreeNAS box onto you network (make sure you plugged in the network cable). Select option 2 to Set LAN IP address. (For users that has got more than 1 Network port you might want to go into option 1 first)

The first screen of the IP Adress setup lets you select whether you want to use DHCP or a fixed ip. If you choose DHCP that will pretty much be the only selection that you need to make IMPORTANT: Your IP address of the FreeNAS box can become variable unless you control it from your router if you use DHCP. I'll be covering the other option, so select No.

The first step is to enter the IP address you want to use in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx then select OK and press ENTER

The next step is to enter the the subnet mask as used by your network. I choose 24 as I use 255.255.255.0 then select OK and press ENTER

You need now to provice you IPv4 Default Gateway. This will be in most cases your router's IP address. The address must also be entered in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx then select OK and press ENTER

You will now be required to enter the DNS IPv4. This will be in most cases your router's IP address. The address must also be entered in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx then select OK and press ENTER

After this step there will be a short pause while the network is being brought up. You will then see a small message stating where you can access the WEB Gui. (no picture at this stage). You can now got to another computer on the network an you should be able to open Firefox, Opera, IE, etc. and enter the IP address that you selected or that was assigned by DHCP in the address bar. You should be greated by the following Login screen:

The intital login onto FreeNAS is UID: admin and PWD: freenas. Once you have logged in you should see the following FreeNAS screen and you are now ready to start configuring FreeNAS like adding Drives, etc.

Online Crankshaft

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: How To: FreeNAS 7.2
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
OK.  I'm ready for the next step - installing Squeezebox server.

Is this tutorial still active?

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
Sorry guys got real busy but will try and update over the weekend. Please just remember this is for FreeNAS 32-bit. For FreeNAS 64-bit there is a different way of doing things. Which is a lot more complex.

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:47:06 PM »
Disk Management - Software Raid

First you select the Disks --> Management menu item and then you click on the + sign to add disks to FreeNAS. Without any disks to manage you won't have a need for FreeNAS  ;D

On this image you select the drives you want to manage. Make sure that you don't select your OS drive/flash disk as this is never required. I highlighted some of the settings I like. For best results with FreeNAS always try and use blank disks so that you can select the native file systems of FreeNAS/FreeBSD. Click the Add button and repeat this step for as many disks that you are going to use. Each time you use a disk it will disappear from the drop down so you can't "link" them to FreeNAS multiple time.

Click the Apply Changes once you are done.

Now you are ready to format the drives. Click on the  Disks --> Format menu item

Here you will select the disks that you have just added for Management. To be able to use the disks in SoftRaid you must format them with the SoftRaid option. This will "mark" them as SoftRaid drives and will allow you to use them later during the setup. If you want to just add the disks as normal drives you will Format them and skip right to the mount step below. Repeat this step for all the drives.

Now we are ready to configure the SoftRaid drives. Click on the  Disks --> Software Raid menu item.

Now you will select the type of Software Raid that you want to use:
JBOD --> stands for just a bunch of disks. No data redundancy and you end up with just one big disk of all your drives
Raid 0 --> must use even numbered disk and preferably of the same size. If they are not of the same size the total available space will be 2x the smallest drive's size. No data redundancy and if you loose a drive everything is lost
Raid 1 --> must use even numbered disk and preferably of the same size. If they are not of the same size the total available space will be 1x the smallest drive's size. All your data is mirrored onto the second drive so you can loose 1 drive and still have all of your data.
Raid 5 --> must use at least 3 drives and preferably of the same size. If they are not of the same size the total available space will be (number of drives - 1) * smallest drive's size. Your data is spread over the drives and you can loose 1 drive and still retain data integrity.

In this example I did Raid 1 so I select Raid 1 and clicked the + sign to start the configuration. I called the drive the DataRaid1, selected the drives and initialized the raid. Click on the Add button to complete the step.

On the next screen you can see your Software Raid setup and you can click the Apply Changes button to make them active.

This now created a Software Raid disk and you have to format this to give it a file system. This is a step that is often missed. Now you are ready to format the drives. Click on the  Disks --> Format menu item

Here we will now select the disk called DataRaid1 and format it with the UFS partion which is the native file system for FreeNAS/FreeBSD and is highly recommended. You can format NTFS if you want to.

Now we are ready to mount the drives and this is the final step of the disk management process. Go to Disks --> Mount Point

We will select the + sign to mount any disks that we require to mount.

On the mount screen we will select the disk called DataRaid1 and we will select GPT Partion/MBR Partion depending on what we used during the format stage. For UFS and Software Raid this is normally GPT and is required for drives in excess of 2TB. We will leave partion 1 select UFS or NTFS depending on what we selected during the format stage and we will provide the mount point of the drive which is in my case mydata. Click on the Add button to complete.

Click the Apply Changes button on the next screen to mount the drive.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:12:06 PM by ara »

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »
First time using this photo uploading method so can some please confirm that they can see the images before I continue. Thank you. I will continue during the week since I don't use FreeNAS anymore I had to setup a VM for this tutorial and will continue configuring it during the week.

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
Works Perfect
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
Services - CIFS/SMB

This will be the main way of sharing the drives in the FreeNAS machine to Windows Machines.

First you select Services --> CIFS/SMB menu item

You then in the top right hand corner enable the service and give the NetBIOS name. The settings you can pretty much leave as it in most cases.

Under the advanced settings on the same page I would recommend that you enable Asynchronous I/O. The rest of the settings you can also pretty much leave as is. At the end of the tutorial I will suggest some optimisations. Click the Save and Restart button to start the service.

Now you will select the Shares tab on the same page and click the + sign to share your disks to the outside world.

Now you will give the share a name. In my case I called it myShare. We will also select the mount point (where we mounted the drive) as the location that we want to share. In my tutorial it was called mydata. Click the Add button to complete the process.

Now click the Apply changes to complete the sharing of the drive.

You should be able to go to \\freenas\myShare or \\ip address\myShare to access the drive and start copying files on.

Offline ara

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:17:28 PM »
Squeezebox Server

On the drive that you shared you create a folder called slimnas. Inside this folder you must put three files (only have screenshot with two). It is the slimnas-install.sh and slimnas.tgz that is linked in the first post. Note: there was updates so if you haven't downloaded it recently do so now. You must also download the latest Logitech Media Server (Perl Source Code)

Now you need to go to Advanced --> Command menu.

In the Command text box you must type the following command /bin/sh /your mount point of the drive/slimnas/slimnas-install.sh and in my example the mount point of the drive above was /mnt/mydata so I will be typing in /bin/sh /mnt/mydata/slimnas/slimnas-install.sh and then click the Execute button.

If the install is successful then you should have the following screen.

Now you can logoff from FreeNAS and log back in. You will then see a new menu item called Extensions. Click on the Extensions --> Squeezebox Server menu item.

On the next screen you will click Enabled in the top right hand corner and you will select logitechmediaserver-7.7.1.tgz. Click the Save button and then the Restart Logitech Media Server button. Note: Sometimes it doesn't work the first time. What you then do is on the same screen select slimnas.tgz and logitechmediaserver-7.7.1.tgz and click the Save button and then the Restart Logitech Media Server button.

Eventually you will see the follow screen and Logitech Media Server is ready for use.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 01:54:26 AM »
For FreeNAS 64-bit there is a different way of doing things. Which is a lot more complex.
Yes please!
 ;D ;D ;D
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Online Crankshaft

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 11:03:21 AM »
Wow, excellent, thank you.  I got myself 2 x 1TB drives, and can't wait to begin!!

Offline tangmonster

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »
I feel very accomplished running virtualbox on freenas. Yes virtualbox inside freenas not the other way round.

Yesterday I installed the latest version of 0.7.x freenas

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-7-nightly/0.7.5.9898/

I then installed virtualbox example how to install here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5466

And installed windows xp. It actually worked. I know have an windows xp running within freenas.
Networking to and from both os's works just fine.
You can install any OS. I just wanted to experiment with XP.

Online Crankshaft

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »
I feel very accomplished running virtualbox on freenas. Yes virtualbox inside freenas not the other way round.

Yesterday I installed the latest version of 0.7.x freenas

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-7-nightly/0.7.5.9898/

I then installed virtualbox example how to install here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5466

And installed windows xp. It actually worked. I know have an windows xp running within freenas.
Networking to and from both os's works just fine.
You can install any OS. I just wanted to experiment with XP.

Awesome!

Offline I Shot Tupac!!!

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »
Good write up. Works 100%  :thumbs:

Thank you sir.  :notworthy: