Bathtub gin and other uses for vodka

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyP

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I?m unsure if anyone else got that bored over lockdown that they started thinking of ways to make nice spirits and liqueurs from basic vodka, but I did so I?ll post.

What is gin? Well effectively a spirit (usually grain based but can be cane based) with added flavourings.  As long as one of those flavourings is juniper berries and ABV is above 37.5%, it is gin.  A liqueur can be anything based on alcohol (probably got a lower limit above 14%).  So any unflavored vodka or cane spirit can be used.

So with this limited knowledge (a dangerous thing) and no useful lab equipment I started searching for a way to turn base spirit into gold! Turns out it is very easy.

So far - lime leaf, hibiscus and methi gin (pics in next one).  Full juniper oomph, bright lime and tart fruitiness tempered by a deep spicy undertone and warming cinnamon and pepper finish.

Ingredients:

2 tbsp organic juniper berries
1 tbsp coriander seeds
One star anise
1 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
1 stick cinnamon
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Szechuan pepper
Peel of an orange and a lemon
4 cardomom pods
Vodka (about 500ml)
Five lime leaves
A hibiscus teabag or five hibiscus flowers (dried for tea)

Sterilize a mason or similar jar
Lightly crush the juniper and spices and add to the jar
Add the peels, leaves and hibiscus then about 350ml vodka
Close the jar, shake well and leave to infuse.  Shake again every few hours.
After about 24 hrs taste and either let it steep some more, or more likely use a coffee filter to filter the liquor into a bottle.
Dilute with more vodka as necessary (I added another 150ml)
Optional addition of a nice looking cinnamon stick (which will make it sweeter and warmer over time).

Drink with lime as a gimlet, or just as a G and T (best option IMHO)

Latest posts