Pioneer CS-53 speakers - a love story

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zilch

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
We first met online, through Gumtree SA.  They were R650, I got them for R450, an absolute steal!

The guy I bought them from also lived in the area, Zane (known as [member=18657]Scheepers[/member] here).  They were pretty beat up; they clearly needed some resto work.

Anyway, he was kind enough to deliver them to my house, presumably because he also lived in the area.

When I first heard them, I really didn't think much of them.  I mean, compared to my precious B&W DM220's, it was obvious which was not just the prettiest, but also has the best voice.

Later on, I decided to sell my DM220's though.  I don't know why.  I think it might've been because I heard the CS'53's, or something.  But either way, I sold them.

Then I still had a few pairs in the house.  Some old Wharfdale 6.5' with 0.75", they were pretty decent, dispite their 89dB sensitivity.  Also a pair of 3 way B&O's (I think Beovox 2400 with Seas tweeter and mid + Celestion bass), but they were too dry.  But somehow I still found myself leaning toward the Pioneer's more, and more, and more.

Until one day, I asked my if he could restore the cabinets.  And guess what...

Latest posts