Author Topic: Pioneer CS-53 speakers - a love story  (Read 248 times)

Online Zilch

Pioneer CS-53 speakers - a love story
« on: September 02, 2020, 11:07:42 AM »
We first met online, through Gumtree SA.  They were R650, I got them for R450, an absolute steal!

The guy I bought them from also lived in the area, Zane (known as @Scheepers here).  They were pretty beat up; they clearly needed some resto work.

Anyway, he was kind enough to deliver them to my house, presumably because he also lived in the area.

When I first heard them, I really didn't think much of them.  I mean, compared to my precious B&W DM220's, it was obvious which was not just the prettiest, but also has the best voice.

Later on, I decided to sell my DM220's though.  I don't know why.  I think it might've been because I heard the CS'53's, or something.  But either way, I sold them.

Then I still had a few pairs in the house.  Some old Wharfdale 6.5' with 0.75", they were pretty decent, dispite their 89dB sensitivity.  Also a pair of 3 way B&O's (I think Beovox 2400 with Seas tweeter and mid + Celestion bass), but they were too dry.  But somehow I still found myself leaning toward the Pioneer's more, and more, and more.

Until one day, I asked my if he could restore the cabinets.  And guess what...
If you don't understand the difference between "their", " there", and "they're", then your an idiot.

Online Zilch

Re: Pioneer CS-53 speakers - a love story
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 11:09:27 AM »
Here are the CS-53 speakers, these are pictures taken by Zane.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

If you don't understand the difference between "their", " there", and "they're", then your an idiot.

Online Zilch

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 11:11:44 AM »
Here are the speakers at my grandfather's, during the redecorating process...  (Hehe, you can even see the Beovox's in the background)

Online Zilch

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 11:13:43 AM »
And here's the finished product...  Looks pretty damn good, eh?

Online Zilch

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »
Anyway, just thought I'd post this as a background story of sorts.  Some of you might find it interesting, while others might not.

Only the brightest of you forumies might notice my grandfather accidentally missed the outside rectangle of the rear.  This is most likely because I forgot to paint the primer on that part and so he must've though I did't want it painted.  My stupidity haunts me!!!

Btw, yes.  I did use wood filler and primer to do the basic touchups.  I just have the worst luck when it comes to painting.

All in all, they cost me about R650.  I'm really proud of how they came out!

Online Zilch

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 11:25:20 AM »
Here's the original post: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,78556

Unfortunately I have since sold them.  This was only because they had a huge impedance rice into the multiple HUNDREDS on ohms, and that sent my amp into protection mode whenever any deep bass was playing (fyi, the protection mode of the GFA-1 just lowers the volume).

Zane also had new caps installed, which was pretty cool!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:30:46 AM by Zilch510 »