Take2 - semi ok solution to an issue

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney_gold

R.I.P. 5 June 2018
Reaction score
Story - Ordered a set of AKG702's at the "special" price of R3200.00 - was a month delivery (From amazon USA) and eventually landed here on 22/12
As my headphone source was being used elsewhere , I only unpacked em on 29/12 and hooked em up - sounded REALLY bad , any levels of listening above "softish" resulted in a badly crunchy sound , anything with bass was the same. Mailed Take2 and they said to return em ..asked what the procedure was - they said they would evaluate the unit - 5 days later the "evaluation" was completed and it was noted that when the bass was wacked up, the sound was distorted.
Their advice was to listen with bass turned to 0 (Ie no bass boost) and give it 100 hours of playback.

I responded with pics of my setup and told em to come to my house to listen for themselves as I doubted the 100hrs was gonna get the phones right.
They sent a guy , who listened to the phones on my various amps and compared em to other phones and admitted  the sound was distorted.
He said to me , I can either return em and they would have em "further" evaluated or I could run em 100 hours and if still faulty , they would resume the return. I was pretty miffed , I'm not an idiot , 100 hrs will not remove "crunchy" sound , anyway decided to give em the benefit of the doubt and wrapped em in a towel , put Brian Brombergs wood on repeat and stuck em in a cupboard.
After 50 hrs , things had actually got worse - so called take2 and they told me to return em AGAIN... I was getting quite antsy at this time ... envisioning another week or so for them to further "re-evaluate" (turned out their 1st evaluation was their staff listening on an Ipod) so sent em a semi nasty mail - stating that the unit was faulty and that no amt of running in was gonna cure it and either credit me or get me a new unit and considering this was my 1st order with them , I was a pretty unhappy camper as to them taking responsibility for faulty goods.. No threats , but just kinda curt and to the point.
Anyway went yesterday to give em back and they have decided to credited me...
Ended up ok , took almost 2 months and a lot of aggravation , merely to get a credit - but I suppose in SA thats a FANTASTIC result....
Not sure whether I would buy something available in SA at a higher price from em again if they cheaper by getting it from Amazon etc , especially if its something that the local suppliers would be loathe to honour in terms of warrantee or support..

Latest posts