Poll: Hardware for room correction

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these processors do you prefer, and why?

• Behringer DEQ 2496

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KRK ERGO 4ch room correction system

• DBX Driverack PX

• DBX Driverack PA+

• Total voters

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you would contribute with your experience in this regard please.  Firstly, how much of a difference does room correction really make to the end result?  My own room is reasonably well behaved (for a small room), but being a room, it does introduce problems.

Now, most of the room correction units function in the digital domain, meaning they will do a A/D conversion, apply the EQ, then do a D/A conversion again.  This means we have an extra 2 conversion steps in the audio path.  Is the extra processing (and signal degredation caused by it) worth the benefit in terms of cleaned-up response?

I am not interested in unaffordable room correction units that use gold plated, weapons grade plutonium contact points on the connectors.  I am more interested in units which we could afford to actually buy, and how well they work.  Advantages and disadvantes of each, etc.

The options are:
1.  Behringer DEQ 2496    costs about R 4800
2.  KRK ERGO 4ch room correction system - costs about R 4000
3.  DBX Driverack PX      costs about R 5500
4.  DBX Driverack PA+    costs about R 7000

All of these units are available in SA, so we shouldn't have any import issues, etc.  Hopefully it also means that some of you have listened to these units.  Perhaps not in a hifi environment, but in a studio, etc.

If you can think of any other unit I have left out of the list, then please let me know so I can include it.  Let's go with an upper price limit of R 10K for a new unit.

Thanks,
Ian.