Author Topic: HP Microserver N56 -- upgradeable?  (Read 429 times)

Offline d0dja

HP Microserver N56 -- upgradeable?
« on: August 25, 2020, 11:56:01 AM »
I've been scratching around on the Net to see if there is a reasonable way to put a a more modern mobo and processor into the Microserver case. I like the form factor, the four slide-in drive bays... and it's paid for.

Seems that it's to all practical purposes impossible (thanks HP for your proprietary form factor). But wondered if anyone has tried it and succeeded.

That Core2Duo is just not up to snuff these days for large 10GB+ video files.

Offline DACMan1

Re: HP Microserver N56 -- upgradeable?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 12:37:51 PM »
You mean the N54? It has an AMD turion - not a lot of horsepower. You could massage an ITX board in there, but the space is too limited to fit any reasonable CPU cooler. It is a pity, such a nice enclosure...

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 12:53:27 PM »
@d0dja

What would you use be?

Simple fast network storage or transcoding?

I am waiting for the Helios64 (RK3399) which I pre-ordered in January (automated testing causing current delay) that can be a cost-effective NAS/DAS/mediaserver and could offer more capability. Sure it has limited processing power so not really a "home server"

https://kobol.io/

Offline d0dja

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »
Ah yes, N54. Turion. That.   :whistler:

It seems the mini ITX fits, but the connectors etc don't line up. So it would need baupering and fiddling and may still not work out.

Mostly using it as a media server running Plex, so a NAS with bells on. It's handy having a proper PC as I can duck into the study where it sits and search torrents, download, etc. And I run REW on it when I do room measurements. So a bog standard NAS is not flexible enough, and expensive...

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 01:40:12 PM »

That Core2Duo is just not up to snuff these days for large 10GB+ video files.

Are you transcoding or something? Cause I have the N40L and it is perfectly happy with 50Gb+ files.

Offline d0dja

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 02:35:59 PM »
It shouldn't be transcoding, just streaming to an AppleTV 4K. I've not yet tried it pulling from Plex -- but the MicroServer box often struggles with larger files, especially Matroska.

Just opened the file over the network form my MBP and it played fine, so could be you're right, long as it's just serving data over the network it's fast enough.

Maybe I was letting me convince myself I needed to upgrade  :O0:

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »
It shouldn't be transcoding, just streaming to an AppleTV 4K. I've not yet tried it pulling from Plex -- but the MicroServer box often struggles with larger files, especially Matroska.

Just opened the file over the network form my MBP and it played fine, so could be you're right, long as it's just serving data over the network it's fast enough.

Maybe I was letting me convince myself I needed to upgrade  :O0:

Yeah, something not right there. My N40L (which is less powerful I presume) is quite happy to serve files over SMB of pretty large size (50Gb or larger even). Using gigbit lan though, is network your bottleneck perhaps? Or USB maybe if the files are on an external USB drive? I bought a USB 3.0 expansion card for the microserver and my external drive and it works very well.

Offline d0dja

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 08:54:15 AM »
I did just put a little Ubiquiti edgemax gigabit router in to separate the various APs and bits and bob. It seems to play streaming from plex fine even files that won't play locally on the media server.

So I guess I leave it  be. And watch out for a Microserver Gen 8 with an i3 for cheap...   :winkwink:

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 11:13:52 AM »
AFAIK, Plex does transcoding on the server if the device does not support the format the video is saved in. So for some endpoints, the server acts simply as a file server, for others it might be doing transcoding (or at least attempting to). One way to mitigate it is to transcode all your videos offline to a format that all your devices support, or at least those you use most frequently.

Offline naughty

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 06:03:04 PM »
I did just put a little Ubiquiti edgemax gigabit router in to separate the various APs and bits and bob. It seems to play streaming from plex fine even files that won't play locally on the media server.

So I guess I leave it  be. And watch out for a Microserver Gen 8 with an i3 for cheap...   :winkwink:

The gen 8 does not have an i3 - it comes standard with a celeron but you can upgrade it to a Xeon  - I don't know of any microservers that can upgrade to an i3 unless the gen 10 does that - whatever you get the gen 8 for the Xeon on its own to fit into it is R3k on its own added to the cost of a gen 8 unit - so it won't be too cheap to get one of those upgraded ones - plus the gen 8 upward only uses ECC ram so to add additional ram will be pretty expensive too

Offline d0dja

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 05:21:46 AM »
A variation does come with i3 as tbo (https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03793258) but judging from a googling none of them came to SA.

Offline naughty

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 10:17:56 AM »
I have access to a G8 that has been upgraded that a buddy wants to sell - no hard drives included but it originally came with 4GB Ram and has been upgraded with an additional 4GB plus the Celeron CPU was removed and replaced with a Xeon CPU - was used as a stockroom PC in the network - was recently replaced by a G10 machine .... The guy will take R3k for the machine - no optical drive or hard drives included (only original HP slot optical drives will fit - and those are insanely expensive so he used a USB external and that's not included in the price)

Seems cheap to me for a machine of this spec - if anyone is interested PM me for more details - the packaging box may be from some other machine (it will be a G8 box just probably not matching serial number) - he had around 10 machines all over the business - is replacing them with G10s as the need arises - this one was decommissioned because he wanted to try the G10 with 16GB of Ram in the stockroom - nothing was wrong with it - it is still working - I tried one of my old 120GB hard drives on it to see if windows installed plus to see if a GT710 graphics card worked - installed without a hitch but that graphics card is not included in the sale (was someone else's card and borrowed it to test)

Offline d0dja

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 11:59:45 AM »
Just got delivered an i3 based slimline-media case machine to get set up ...  :whistler:

And maybe put OpenNAS on the old Microserver and stick it in a corner.