EMT 948 broadcast turntable

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
EMT 948 broadcast turntable

I obtained an EMT 948 turntable in a good cosmetic condition. With it were some extra PCB boards and other spares. It was complete with its 929 tone-arm, head shell and cartridge.

I did some reading regarding this EMT model. On this forum Agaton Sax posted some very interesting and helpful information regarding EMT turntables.

I knew beforehand that this this one had a speed problem. It had also had other electronic faults. In short, after many hours, the faults were rectified. This is not at all an easy turntable to repair.  It still needs some tweaking and fine tuning.

The Wow and flutter/Rumble specifications are according to DIN standards. Even some of the so called modern audiophile turntables do not have it.

I haven?t seen any turntable with such a suspension like this one. It is like an industrial machine?s shocks.

The electronic build and PCB layout is much the same as that of electronic measuring equipment from that era, excellent workmanship.

Coupled to a valve pre-amplifier and a Radford STA 15 valve power amplifier it sounds very good. It has a very good designed phone stage.

The next step will be to test the EMT with modern digital test equipment in order to try and fine tune it.

This is a real broadcast turntable.

Latest posts